Abandoned hen

Jaxx2

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2021
Hello, I need some advice. I've come across a chicken whos been abandoned, The idiot who owned her locked about a dozen chickens in a shed with no food or water and obviously they all died except for one.
She lives alone outside, and has frost bite on her comb. I need advice on whether its safe to keep her or not.
I have a very small flock with only 2 hens and im aware that its risky to introduce a mystery chicken I know very little about.
She came from a hatchery so shes got to be vaccinated. For what im not sure.
I'll do at least a 30 day quarantine. But I'm honestly more worried about the issues my flock have.
I had a rooster with (probable) mareks, so that makes my hens (probable) carriers. The rooster was euthanized but the others never showed signs of illness.
I read that you can still introduce new chickens to carriers but 'you should be prepared for losses'.
Shes probably vaccinated for mareks, but will that protect her still??
Yet ANOTHER issue I have is one of my hens has a chronic respiratory thing going on. Shes gone through at least 4 rounds of antibiotics. They do help but it never fully goes away. She has an occasional wheeze, no runny eyes or nose. She acts like a totally normal hen. Shes had it for almost 2 years now.
My other hen has never caught anything from her, which confuses me. I'm not sure if the illness isnt contagious, or if shes gained an immunity. Are there any respiratory illnesses that arent contagious?

I'll search for anyone who could give this hen a good home. I'm going to pick her up on Monday whether I keep her or not.
Is there any way I can immunize her?
I need advice from people who are more knowledgeable on these illnesses then I am.
Thanks for reading:)
image000000.jpg

Most chickens from hatcheries are not vaccinated for anything, unless the buyer asks and pays for it. So Imwould not assume that she was vaccinated. Most respiratory diseases are chronic and stay in their bodies for life, making them carriers. I would not take the hen.

Most chickens from hatcheries are not vaccinated for anything, unless the buyer asks and pays for it. So Imwould not assume that she was vaccinated. Most respiratory diseases are chronic and stay in their bodies for life, making them carriers. I would not take the hen.
Ok, I'm going to try my best to look for another home for her.

Back
Top Bottom