Abandoned live egg help

jnbelknap

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
Arroyo Grande, Ca
My broody hatched five chicks, but my one remaining viable egg was left alone. My hen began to rear the chicks after 24 hrs of waiting. I brought the egg inside and after warming her with my own body (the egg was cold), I heard her start to chirp inside. When I candled her, she was moving like crazy. All night I have kept her on my body or on a heating pad. She pipped at 730pm last night. I pulled off the cracked shell of what she was able to do last night. There has been no progression. It is now nearly 9am. I can see her moving, but I don't know what to do to help with humidity. I have her in a box with a heating pad and a wet towel.

When should I intervene? The others hatched two days ago on day 20. I do not have an incubator because my broodies usually do this part. Should I wait it out?

I'm going to say this, and other members will probably bash me for it, but I personally would very very carefully try and help the chick out of that shell, since you don't have an incubator. That is probably it's best chance of surviving.....

Good luck to you,
Sharon

UPDATE: I hatched her. There was some bleeding. I also had to cut what was attached to her. However, the yolk was completely absorbed. It didn't look good for a bit over an hour. I was starting to feel a bit resigned since I already had one stillborn when she suddenly just woke up. She began kicking and chirping. I cannot wait to introduce her to her siblings. Little "Poppy" is going to make it!

I'm going to say this, and other members will probably bash me for it, but I personally would very very carefully try and help the chick out of that shell, since you don't have an incubator. That is probably it's best chance of surviving.....

Good luck to you,
Sharon
In an incubator I'll wait between 18-24 hours before interfering and then only enough to widen the hole and asses the situation. (Of course if I think there's major complications I'll start an assisted hatch.) With an abandoned broody egg and no bator to keep the humidity up, I'd probably attempt to assist as long as the yolk was absorbed.

UPDATE: I hatched her. There was some bleeding. I also had to cut what was attached to her. However, the yolk was completely absorbed. It didn't look good for a bit over an hour. I was starting to feel a bit resigned since I already had one stillborn when she suddenly just woke up. She began kicking and chirping. I cannot wait to introduce her to her siblings. Little "Poppy" is going to make it!

Yay!! Hope she continues to do well!!

Back
Top Bottom