Abandoned nest. 2 eggs viable 2 dead.

StormsnSaugeye

Songster
Jul 16, 2018
Today I stumbled on a nest that was destroyed.
Don't know what caused it precisely. I only discovered that another family had found it that way and a freshly hatched duckling had imprinted on her.
I did a quick candling and confirmed that two eggs were dead in shell without pipping (Brown veins, and the inner membrane was tight to one of them.
However, two were still viable and both had pipped. But were cooling off in the fading sun.
After conferring with the family and having all of us walk away to see if the mother would come back (It didn't. We gave it two hours and was well away and out of sight) I did the stupid thing and decided to rescue the two hatching eggs.

I REALLY don't like doing so. But Well, I normally raise ducks and the likes, so if nothing I'm well suited to it.
So yeah. Duck hatching thread. I dunno what will pop out but I'll keep you posted.
I seriously was not expecting this...
Oh, right, the duckling that had hatched (The family will take it home) was a pure white duckling. So I'm assuming it was a pekin duck.
So if nothing else, it wasn't a wild mallard nest as far as I can tell...

Good story nice, how long do u think they were abandoned for?
Best guess? A day. The duckling that was found was fully hatched and dried off. It had its egg tooth and it was not able to walk well. The egg that was at the nest was dried off and brown. So it had been out for a while at that point.

If I had to engage in speculation, last night something disturbed her nest (There were other damaged or destroyed nests in the area. Some with still fresh yolk and such) and she abandoned the nest assuming it destroyed. The duckling, from what the lady said, had just been sitting there and when she walked by, ran up to her.

I want to reinforce that even though I angered the husband in asking everyone to get clear of the nest it was left out in the open for 2 or so hours before I finally called it. Honestly I should have called it sooner...

Well not really "Ran" per se but did the flopping walk up with desperate peeps. It didn't have any residue on it from hatching so it had either been out for a while or was handled a lot by her by the time I walked up. It's been in the low 90s here for the last few days. So I think the only reason why the other two eggs didn't die was because of how warm it's been. I had to rapidly turn on my incubator because one was externally pipped while the other is internally pipped. I'm gonna let them keep warm over night.

Best guess? A day. The duckling that was found was fully hatched and dried off. It had its egg tooth and it was not able to walk well. The egg that was at the nest was dried off and brown. So it had been out for a while at that point.

If I had to engage in speculation, last night something disturbed her nest (There were other damaged or destroyed nests in the area. Some with still fresh yolk and such) and she abandoned the nest assuming it destroyed. The duckling, from what the lady said, had just been sitting there and when she walked by, ran up to her.

I want to reinforce that even though I angered the husband in asking everyone to get clear of the nest it was left out in the open for 2 or so hours before I finally called it. Honestly I should have called it sooner...

Well not really "Ran" per se but did the flopping walk up with desperate peeps. It didn't have any residue on it from hatching so it had either been out for a while or was handled a lot by her by the time I walked up. It's been in the low 90s here for the last few days. So I think the only reason why the other two eggs didn't die was because of how warm it's been. I had to rapidly turn on my incubator because one was externally pipped while the other is internally pipped. I'm gonna let them keep warm over night.
That’s soo nice of you, I’m glad some of the ducklings survived, I hope the mother’s okay thou 😅

That’s soo nice of you, I’m glad some of the ducklings survived, I hope the mother’s okay thou 😅
Well. I won't declare any saved until they hatch. But... Given that there was still movement in the eggs when I finally called it for 2 of them I'm optimistic.
That said I'm glad at least 1 of the ducklings was saved too. I would hate to think about what would have happened to it if it was left to its own devices...
I have my suspicions the mother is alright. But I did see a rather dead duck in some bushes. But there were many ducks in the area...so it could be a coincidence and I'm rather confident that the mother duck abandoned the nest but is ok.

If the two eggs hatch and they're both yellow I'll know I'm dealing with Pekin ducks. But it wouldn't surprise me if it was a mixture of swedish, mallard, and pekin.

Well. I won't declare any saved until they hatch. But... Given that there was still movement in the eggs when I finally called it for 2 of them I'm optimistic.
That said I'm glad at least 1 of the ducklings was saved too. I would hate to think about what would have happened to it if it was left to its own devices...
I have my suspicions the mother is alright. But I did see a rather dead duck in some bushes. But there were many ducks in the area...so it could be a coincidence and I'm rather confident that the mother duck abandoned the nest but is ok.

If the two eggs hatch and they're both yellow I'll know I'm dealing with Pekin ducks. But it wouldn't surprise me if it was a mixture of swedish, mallard, and pekin.
Wow, u know a lot ab ducks. That’s soo cool, that u helped the ducklings have a chance at survival.

Morning update before I headed off to work. (Actually I waited till I was in to the office to post this)
When I left, one egg had a visible hole and evidence of pipping around the initial external pip. Loud and eager chirps. So I expect that either I will come home to find a duckling out of its egg or nearly so.
The other one showed no change but movement was visible and constant. So that's good. I also stopped by the nest and as I suspected, there was no mother on it.

Back
Top Bottom