Abandoned rooster, what should i look for Pics added

Quote:
I actually just got three ee hens that someone had to get rid of
big_smile.png

I think there a good match, ^w^
Poor boy must think hes died and gone to heaven.
I thought he had to be young, my roo is just a year and his spurs look just like this fellows.

My husband grew up in a home with a crazy amount of animals in an area which you wouldn't expect it. They had goats, chickens, turkeys, rabbits, cats and dogs. All free range and living happy together. Since they shared a fence with a park, people often dropped additional animals off. None were sick, I guess the people just didn't want them anymore and figured my husband's family would take them. Which they did. They ended up with more chickens, turkeys and a couple of pheasants. Perhaps the previous owner didn't want the rooster and figured you would take him, since you already had chickens. I'm guessing they were also too scared to actually talk to you before dumping the poor guy off. Hopefully he has found a good home with you.
big_smile.png

Quote:
He doesn't look to thin no, but I can feel his breast bone, is that normal?
There's zero padding like on my roo?
I also checked, the only other person with a roo by me has a buff and three 3 month old babys.
sad.png

Should I put up signs just to be safe?

Thats what I was just thinkin, they saw you had chickens and might take him. People do that. I don' t get it. Why not just fatten him up and eat him you know... BUT if they have a kid like mine, who says we absolutely CAN NOT eat Oscar... LOL. But I would never just dump him. Thats cruel.

Quote:
Sadly due to my job I have seen this a lot, I have just never had it happen to me ^^;
I think were going to end up keeping him, hes a good genetic out cross from our hens, and if Roopert *our rooster* allows him to stay and mingle, then we will have a good mix of blood lines
big_smile.png
--> genetics freak alert...

Quote:
I know thats what i was thinking actually?
Why would they dump a perfectly good rooster?
Oh well, at least hes proven hes a good boy
big_smile.png

And my buff hen has taken a fancy to him already.

Quote:
I also checked, the only other person with a roo by me has a buff and three 3 month old babys.
sad.png

I agree he doesn't look to thin at all just probably a hatchery bird and they allways have a breast bone you can feel, so I wouldn't worry about that. Some decent feed 22% or more for just a bit ( 2-3 wks ) will help him just look better and get his mojo back and make him feel better. Avoid to much handling of him to ensure he adjust properly.

Quote:
sad.png

I agree he doesn't look to thin at all just probably a hatchery bird and they allways have a breast bone you can feel, so I wouldn't worry about that. Some decent feed 22% or more for just a bit ( 2-3 wks ) will help him just look better and get his mojo back and make him feel better. Avoid to much handling of him to ensure he adjust properly.

Alright I like the sounds of that, even if he is skinny at least he doesn't appear unhealthy skinny
big_smile.png

I have to go get more feed today, so ill pick up a special bag for him
big_smile.png

Ok, so avoid handling him after I inter-grade him?

Back
Top Bottom