Abandoned roosters

Welcome to the forum from Louisiana. Glad you found us.

Not sure where you are located or how cold it will get. I've seen chickens sleep in trees when it was around -10 F (-18 C) so I don't get that excited about 32 F (0 C). These chickens were not on a bare limb overlooking a bluff defiantly squawking into the teeth of a blizzard. The tree was in a sheltered location. You can't get much better ventilation than sleeping in a tree. I'll include a link to an article by someone who has really cold temperatures.

Alaskan’s Article

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

Not sure how old they are, especially if they are sleeping under a bush instead of in a tree. As long as they are fully feathered out, it should not matter. Most chicks are fully feathered around 4 to 5 weeks of age. But if they are pretty young they may not be old enough to roost. That can change as they age.

It sounds like you do not have any other chickens. If you are going to keep them you need a predator proof coop big enough that you can lock them in there for extended periods of time. Or a coop with attached run that you can keep them locked in there. This shelter should block wind but provide good ventilation. How do you do that? The way I prefer is to have openings up high so any wind blows above them, not on them. If you want to let them continue to free range during the day you can train them to sleep in a shelter at night. Different ways you could approach this.

Good luck!
Great advice. Yes glad i found you. Thanks 4 the link ! In answer to your question they are fully grown. From the sound of it perhaps a coop is s better idea....thanks again. Oh ..im in jersey!

S
You might need to build a “trap”. something with food in it, but make it comfy, fresh water, and maybe something to sleep under. Then you go out when it’s dark, and boom! Close them in the ”trap”.
Wow. Suddenly having cats seems so easy lol. Thanks!

Well, I guess fate wants you to have chickens. If you are able, a coop would be best. Get the best you can afford and predator-proof it. The best time to catch them is at night, though if your coop and pen is big enough you may entice them inside with some bits of bread tossed inside. Good luck and bless you for tending to them!

Well, I guess fate wants you to have chickens. If you are able, a coop would be best. Get the best you can afford and predator-proof it. The best time to catch them is at night, though if your coop and pen is big enough you may entice them inside with some bits of bread tossed inside. Good luck and bless you for tending to them!
Yes i agree.....roosters are in my future. Since they are sleeping in the forsythia now it may be relatively east to entice them into coop with the bread. Good siggrstion!

Back
Top Bottom