Abandoned Wood duck...?

I know with killdeer chicks, which are also hard to get them started eating, you have to "show" them what to eat. Most people have success by using their thumb and forefinger together to make a "beak" and "pecking" at food. Also, a stuffed duck pecking at food might help. It takes a lot of time and patience. Other people have mentioned that having another duckling like a mallard who has no problem eating seems to help.

With killdeer chicks, having food that wiggles a little bit helps.

nice so with wood ducks i guess you have to teach them to eat and they are fine after that, mallards and domestic ducks seem to already know this and don't need to be taught to eat and drink just where to eat and drink. you think 10 extra days spent in the egg over a mallard and they would be pre programed to know that like the mallards and Muscovys

Last edited:
Just now saw thist thread. Total myth on having to jump or fall out of a box or anything similar. She did the best thing and got a chick to teach it to eat and drink. Great thinking and good job Rosewolf.
thumbsup.gif
At the very least it is good to dip the bill in the food and water a little and a coupla times for wild ones if you dont have domestic ducklings or chicks. Yes most wild ducks have to showed how to first eat to different degrees. The wood ducks are one of the ones that are harder to show how.Once eating and drinking they are pretty much like any other duck. Just this week I used red golden chicks to teach some wild ducklings how to eat.

Back
Top Bottom