Abandoned Wood duck...?

I have a pekin and she is a terrible mother she will not sit on her eggs but she faithfully lays one a day so we incubated 18 of them and we cook with them. Our drake is a ancona Wednesday was hatch day here and they are still hatching so far we have 14. I have a friend who has pekins and she lays and sits on hers like she is suppose to. Good luck!

Thanks Tracy, at least I know it's possible for them to set. I was under the impression that they never set because it had been bred out of them over the years. I just don't have time to incubate eggs and want mom to do it. Maybe In The future, I was online looking to order chicks yesterday and I wanted 6 but when I got to shipping, it said I would have to pay minimum shipping unless I ordered 10???? Well now I'm thinking do I need 10? What other kind of duck do I want? I'm getting that duck sickness I think! Lol you watch I'll end up with a herd of ducks!

name="tracey0519" url="/t/660428/abandoned-wood-duck/30#post_10339377"]I have a pekin and she is a terrible mother she will not sit on her eggs but she faithfully lays one a day so we incubated 18 of them and we cook with them. Our drake is a ancona Wednesday was hatch day here and they are still hatching so far we have 14. I have a friend who has pekins and she lays and sits on hers like she is suppose to. Good luck!
[/quote]
Thanks Tracey, i was under the impression that setting had been bred out of them over the years. I just don't have time to incubate eggs and want mom to do it. Maybe In The future, I was online looking to order chicks yesterday and I wanted 6 but when I got to shipping, it said I would have to pay minimum shipping unless I ordered 10???? Well now I'm thinking do I need 10? What other kind of duck do I want? I'm getting that duck sickness I think! Lol you watch I'll end up with a herd of ducks!

I choose the Rouen females because they are close to the Mallard. The Mallard drakes are known to drown their females. So I wanted larger females. These are the first ducks I have owned. I started blind because the lady that found him wanted to raise him in a tub in an appartement. I have almost 6 acres so plenty of room. I spent the first night online researching. That is the only help I can give you. I hope everyone that answers helps you.

Back
Top Bottom