Abnormal alive embryo day 18...

I doubt it's a cold spot...and I'm sure there's a million guesses of what it could be...I just didn't want you to stress about it. It happens.

Thank you! I appreciate it 💛 Although I was a little worried, it was mostly extreme curiosity 😆

I had one or two like that. Very small, with a lot of what looked like "empty" space in the egg. They had veins and were moving and all that, made it to lockdown, but died at some point during lockdown. It wasn't cold spots, because I too had multiple calibrated thermometers in different parts of the incubator. I don't know what caused it, but my eggs were shipped from coast to coast so I expected issues, and just figured it was shipping trauma or something (those eggs always had weird misshapen air cells throughout development, too).

Whhhaaaa that's exactly it! It's the same as you had. I'm thinking if it doesn't make it, I might open it up to see how it developed. Mine weren't shipped however, went and picked them up from 5 miles away from my house. So I don't think they were damaged ... But who knows, maybe they were handled roughly before I picked them up?

I thinking also, that my one won't hatch as well, especially if I've locked down and stopped the turning. The high humidity of the hatching can't be doing it any good.

Good news is that the other eggs have started to hatch! and early! day 19 and we had one of the healthy cream legbar eggs hatch, 2 croad langshan's pipping, 2 more cream legbars pipping, and 2 maran eggs pipping!!! :ya:jumpy:fl The rest of the eggs are rocking and rolling preparing to pip :celebrate

Update:

every single fertile egg I had hatched!!! :celebrate apart from the little dwarf embryo of course.

The embryo is still alive, veins and all, and grown in size, but not moving around like before, so might be soon to die. The high hatch humidity and no turning while the others hatched might be the death of it.

However I kept it in the incubator and have put the turner back on. Maybe we might be able to keep it alive :fl

From 14 eggs, I hatched 10, 3 infertile, 1 dwarf weirdo cream legbar egg. Very happy :ya loving my new incubator. The last hatch I got one assisted hatch chick from 24 eggs- really bad incubator.

2 cream legbar males, 1 cream legbar female, 3 croad langshans, 2 black copper marans, 1 blue copper maran and one blue maran 😆:jumpy

Last edited:
Update:

every single fertile egg I had hatched!!! :celebrate apart from the little dwarf embryo of course.

The embryo is still alive, veins and all, and grown in size, but not moving around like before, so might be soon to die. The high hatch humidity and no turning while the others hatched might be the death of it.

However I kept it in the incubator and have put the turner back on. Maybe we might be able to keep it alive :fl

From 14 eggs, I hatched 10, 3 infertile, 1 dwarf weirdo cream legbar egg. Very happy :ya loving my new incubator. The last hatch I got one assisted hatch chick from 24 eggs- really bad incubator.

2 cream legbar males, 1 cream legbar female, 3 croad langshans, 2 black copper marans, 1 blue copper maran and one blue maran 😆:jumpy
:thumbsup:goodpost:

Just wondering if your one little guy made it. I have a few shipped eggs like that and tonight is lockdown.

Sadly not, the egg was still growing,but incredibly slowly, the growth and movement eventually stopped and the veins started getting thinner and thinner. I think it had a genetic problem as the chick that was growing was slightly deformed. It might have hatched if it wasn't put on lockdown with the other eggs (i think it really relied on the movement and not high humidity).

All the other eggs hatched perfect however! they've grown lots of feathers now. Good luck with your hatch! hope it goes well, let me know :fl

Back
Top Bottom