Abnormal egg size-lack of yolk

AnachainAcres

Chirping
Apr 13, 2021
WNY
So I have been crazy busy lately (2jobs plus cooperative extension courses and farmers markets😫😴) its been way hotter than normal and I have been letting my chickens free range under the pine trees to keep cool.
Today in the nest box I found normal eggs and this abnormally small egg. Upon further inspection it contains no yolk. What can cause this?
There are only two 1.5yr old hens and one rooster in this coop. I feed purina layena omega, calcium, grit and fresh water. Limited scratch (1/4 cup for all three) otherwise healthy, clean vents and active.

20210628_190044.jpg
Forgot to add the pic

It's just a weird cycle and it's called a "fairy egg". Egg is into the "shoot" before ovulation. Sometimes this is combined with a double yolk egg. Usually happens in young layers before they get good and regular but in an older hen, it might signal that she was stressed or even that she will be slowing down in laying.

Fairy, fart, wind, rooster eggs are usually from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract, or an immature ova(yolk) and the body forms an egg around it. Color can be darker than 'normal' as the pigment coating released has to cover a much smaller area so is thicker. Can happen with any age layer, but more common with older layers.

I think it's explained in this excellent video, which is worth watching regardless:

It happens every once in awhile. Most do not have a yolk but once in awhile I have gotten one with a tiny yolk. One of my Leghorns was consistently laying them for awhile. She did eventually start laying normally again. Good luck and have fun...
IMG_1324.JPG
IMG_20180501_162825.jpg
IMG_3984 - Copy (2).JPG

Fairy, fart, wind, rooster eggs are usually from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract, or an immature ova(yolk) and the body forms an egg around it. Color can be darker than 'normal' as the pigment coating released has to cover a much smaller area so is thicker. Can happen with any age layer, but more common with older layers.

I think it's explained in this excellent video, which is worth watching regardless:
EXCELLENT video. Thanks for posting!

Back
Top Bottom