Abnormally large eggs, is this a problem?

Harry Frogfish

Chirping
Nov 6, 2020
Alger, WA
Hi! I haven't posted here in awhile, but I have a question.

My 2 year old buff orpington hen started laying again this spring, so far so good, but it seems now that she is laying a lot of almost unusually large eggs. One nearly covered my palm and fingers (almost goose or turkey sized...), boy did she squawk after laying that. Another came out with a thin wash of something darker (blood?) on the shell. She's now complaining everytime she has to go to the nest and I can't imagine this is pleasant for her. Is there anything I can do to help her? Will this correct itself or is there something else going on?

It could potentially be a problem, however some hens are just prone to it and theres nothing than be done to help. It could be in their genetics, it could be a hormone imbalance, over feeding, etc. The only thing that can be helped is the over feeding of laying pellets that can be to much for them. Pellets with abnormally high protein and additives can cause them to over produce. Being shes not so young, environmental or hormonal factors could be the cause. Since shes just started laying again, her hormones are raging, probably over working. Intervening and trying to pull them out of molt prematurely can cause it as well. Do you use artificial lighting in the winter? If you do, their reproductive system cant catch the propper break it needs and gets all out of wack. Since tou said she just started laying again, you probably dont use artificial lighting. In this case, weather and sunshine naturally can be about the same thing as stopping their break or bringing them out of molt prematurely. If its genetics or a natural hormone imbalance, there isn't much you can do.

Thank you for your reply.
I don't use much artificial light (only a heat lamp on the coldest nights) so that likely isn't it. I will watch how much protein I am giving her. I have been feeding flock raiser with oyster shell while the younger two weren't laying yet, but maybe I should get them all on a laying mix which IIRC has less protein overall. They free range and likely don't need too much extra in that department.

It could be genetics as well. Her 'sister', Daphne, from the same 'batch' died suddenly at 18 months probably from an egg-related difficulty. She was laying weird eggs, lash eggs, etc off and on. Daphne always looked odd and her feathers were always really bad. Pru has always been somewhat healthier but might be prone to some of the same bad genetics coming from the same farm/breeder and 'lot'. They both are so different from my two newer buffs who seem to be far healthier (dare I say normal?) overall.

Thanks again!!

Yes, genetics sound highly plausible. To much calcium (oyster shell) can also lead to over production. Does the feed have calcium suppliment plus oyster shell, or is oyster shell the main contribution of calcium?

Extra calcium (oyster shell) really isnt needed for the ones that weren't laying yet either. Extra calcium is really only needed whenever they actually start laying. Excess calcium really isnt needed period if their feed contains it, unless they show signs of a calcium deficiency. To much is just as bad as not enough.

Yes, genetics sound highly plausible. To much calcium (oyster shell) can also lead to over production. Does the feed have calcium suppliment plus oyster shell, or is oyster shell the main contribution of calcium?
Currently the feed does not have oyster shell and I have been letting her free feed oyster shell when she wants it. I'm guessing I need to switch to a laying mix that has the calcium already mixed in so that she doesn't over do it and remove the separate oyster shell.

If its just one hen, it's likely more genetic than enviromental. My mom laughs, we have 4 hens in one of my pens. 3 NNs and 1 Calico Princess. All lay the same color, but we can tell usually who the CP laid because it's too big/round to fit in a carton all the way

Extra calcium (oyster shell) really isnt needed for the ones that weren't laying yet either. Extra calcium is really only needed whenever they actually start laying. Excess calcium really isnt needed period if their feed contains it, unless they show signs of a calcium deficiency. To much is just as bad as not enough.
That's why I was giving them the flock raiser to keep the non-layers from getting too much. Now that they are all laying, I think I'm going to switch. Thank you for your insight! I love this site because I learn so much about my birds and their needs.

Currently the feed does not have oyster shell and I have been letting her free feed oyster shell when she wants it. I'm guessing I need to switch to a laying mix that has the calcium already mixed in so that she doesn't over do it and remove the separate oyster shell.
Well if the feed doesn't have calcium, the oyster shell should be to much. It may give her a better balance of levels with a feed that contains calcium already in it, minus the oyster shell, though. What feed are you currently using? But i agree with above comment. Its likely simply genetics.

That's why I was giving them the flock raiser to keep the non-layers from getting too much. Now that they are all laying, I think I'm going to switch. Thank you for your insight! I love this site because I learn so much about my birds and their needs.
I gotchya. I took it as the feed itself contained oyster shell until you said it was seperate and the feed didn't calcium.

Back
Top Bottom