? about 2 hens sitting on a nest for close to 21 days then moving em'

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pouletdile, May 26, 2011.

1. pouletdile

pouletdile Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    So, I've had 2 hens (buff & australorp) sitting together in a nesting box (we're getting close to the 21 days) and who knows how many eggs (but deff. a bunch). This morning I went into the coop to gather eggs and one of the other hens (a rock) had kicked the two hens out of the box and was sitting on the eggs. A few hours ago I went into the coop and the nest box the the 2 hens had been in was empty and they were sitting on the eggs in a different box. I'm guessing that they carried them under their wings? Anyone? Does this often happen? will if effect the eggs? I was pretty shocked.
  2. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

This is a pretty common scenario if you let your broodies hatch in the main coop, and my experience trying it this way is that you get a poor hatching rate, many broken eggs, and a lot of stress on the broody hen(s). I now isolate the broody in a separate part of the coop once I'm certain that she's dedicated, and let her hatch in peace and quiet. I have a screen between the two parts of my coop, so they can all see and hear eachother, and integrating the chicks into the flock at 2 or 3 weeks old has been super easy - in fact the other hens pretty much ignore the chicks at that point. It means I have to give up my feed and storage area for a little while, but it is so worth it!
  3. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    I' ve never seen them move them, but they do, sometimes mine will put them on the floor of the coop. I have three broody hens and we aren't hatching anything, so they steal whatever is laid in the nesting boxes, put them all together and sit on them until I go gather them up and move them.

deb g

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by