? about adding new birds/ illnesses

toomanydogs

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 31, 2011
I've only been here a couple of days and have read enough to have the following question but first some background info. I have 18 chickens that were purchased at two different times about a month apart from a swap meet/flea market type sale. The first group did great and about a month later we went back and bought a few more. The very next day the temp plunged and it started to rain. The new birds i guess were confused and disorientated and got pretty wet. a few days later some of them seemed to have "colds" I know now that chickens don't get "colds'. i used antibiotics in the water for a couple weeks, two birds died and everyone else seems fine now. i don't know what was wrong with them. I want to get some more this spring, not from the same place but order some chicks. After seeing the coryza threads tho I'm worried that might have been the problem. So if I understand correctly if that was the problem then my birds could be carriers and any others I add to the flock could get sick. culling them is not an option but what if any new birds were housed separately in new runs and coops? I have plenty of room to separate them and was planning on building a few new areas for new birds anyway so that I could get a couple breeds and keep them together instead of in a mixed flock. Would that be safe for more birds as long as the old flock was cleaned and fed last?

Lisa

Might be CRD? MG?ILT?IB? all are respitory issues and will be passed on. You might have some tested to make sure they are ok and they wont pass it to the new ones. Lot of dieases travle in the air, feet,clothes,and by other animals. If you have the new in a different area, you aare still feeding them and walking through sick birds poop and feeding healthy birds with dirty feet from sick coop. Its not worth the headache so find out what you are dealing with first.
Quote:

I work for a vet. could I collect poop samples or swabs? How would I go about having them tested?

Lisa

Bring a sick or dead on in or swab the roof of the mouth and I believe you can test for ILT and MG and you send an egg in for ILT testing. Call your state vet and ask. They are awesome and cheap.

Thanks. Everyone seems fine now but I'll keep a close eye on them and call the state vet if I see anymore problems.

Lisa

I should add hat I'll have them tested before adding to the flock

Last edited:
Hi, i have a flock that had MG, i had to inject all 15 of them with Tylan 200. They all seem fine now, that was 4 months ago. I cant put any other birds i get with them si got a new chicken coop and put the new bitds i purchased in there on my front lawn. I always feed the new birds first and clean them out first, i have 1 pair of shoes i put on to do the new birds and a coat. I then feed the infected birds with a different pair of shoes and coat. Wash my hands and start again the next day. My new birds that ive had fot 2 months seen to be totally fine so you can do it but it is a bit of a hassle.. The symptons my MG flock had where,
* Sneezing
* gaping mouth
* runny nose & mouth
* bubbles in one eye
* fluffed up and a bit unsteady
* swollen sinus (eye swells up) i bathed it with warm salty water and put antibiotic eye drops in.
* temprature ( i gave them baby asprin in a syringe for this)
* i gave them Tylan 200 0.03mls for bantom and 0.4mls for large fowl.. Injected one side of the breast, waited 24 hours the done the opposit side.

My flock didnt have the realy bad smell coming from the nose and mouth which would indicate coryza..

Keep giving your flock ACV in there water for 1 week per month..
Hope this helps a little. Tracy.xx

Thanks Tracy. I really don't mind doing extra work to keep flocks separated if that's what I have to do,the birds here now are so sweet and friendly I don't have the heart to cull them. We were planning on building more runs anyway this spring/summer so I will see how these guys are doing by then and if there are any re-occurances before moving on to adding any more.

Lisa

I recommend that you read up on biosecurity to protect your birds. Bringing in birds from different places is asking for trouble even if you have them seperated in different pens/coops on your property. Some diseases can the carried on your clothing and shoes, some are airborne as well. Quarantining new birds for at least 30 days gives you the opportunity to observe and treat or cull as necessary any problems they may have.
Here's a link to different diseases that birds can get:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thanks for the link. I'm not planning on doing anything for a few months and after continuing too educate myself I very well may decide to keep just these until they are gone. First off tho I'm going to check into testing them to see if I can determine for sure what they had.

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom