about brooders

Quote:
I would use window screen or bird netting, something that is open air. As the first post indicated, it is very easy to cook them in a small brooder. How many chicks, for how long?

i was planing on putting holes in the side with netting for the air to go through

we used a large dog cage. It worked really well. But if you keep it outside your house I have a recomandation. Use very fine wire around it so a snake can not go through it. We did not with our 1st and a snake ate 1 of our babies. But we have some in the incubator now that are due on the 21st of Jan. so they will be safe cause we will keep them in our bathroom till they get bigger. Good luck. Here is a pic of what we kept them in.
73626_new_pics_of_little_ones_babies_010.jpg
Does not show it real well sorry. But it worked really well.

If you put enough shavings in it to where it doesn't stick to the bottom you can use it for about 4 batches of chicks, after that it retains stink.
roll.png

I've used dog crates. Now I'm using a rubbermaid tote. I've never had any heat lamp problems, here's what I do. I have a wire divider from my XL dog crate, set it on top of the tote to keep chicks in and set the lamp on it. I use a 75 watt lamp indoors - you rarely need the huge 250watt bulbs indoors.

I've found out that a simple wire rabbit or guinea pig cage with a solid plastic floor works good for me. Easy to clean and allows plenty of ventilation.You can usually find these for quite cheap at yard sales. Hope this was useful to you.

I think building a brooder is a great idea! I wish I could post a pic from this Wii but none the less on the topic, I built a brooder today with my daughter! It is 6x2x2. It has a sliding divider in the middle so that the chicks start in one half and then as they get bigger, I'll remove the divider and they can have free roam of the whole pen. Or a broody on one side with bator chicks on the other side. Or I can... Already I was thinkin "Oh wow I can even stack another one of these on top and use the bottom to grow out a few while having more above! Or make another one that's even bigger and then..." Oh man look at the trouble this new bator has gotten us into...

New to the whole chicken thing. I am getting a couple young layers and am looking building a coop. any ideas for a easy affordable coop i could build would be great.

Back
Top Bottom