...about had it with bully hen!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mark & Nique, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Howdy,

In the heat of the summer, our backyard flock shrunk by one, leaving us with 2 hens: EE and SS (Speckled Sussex).

The EE was at the top of the pecking order, but wasn't overly aggressive when there were 3. But now, she is a terror! We've given her time-outs, restricted her movements -- but whenever we reintroduce her to the SS, the EE quickly gets her into a corner and jumps on top, pecking away.

We've about had it with her. The only drawback is the EE is a wonderful layer of great eggs. We hate that she has turned into a bully hen!

Any ideas before we find her a new home? Thanks for your help!
    - Mark

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Mark, the only thing I can think of, besides making her into a nice soup, is these things called "Pinless Peepers". They're like little blinders that attach through the nostrils of the beak. (Apparently they don't hurt a bit.) They're supposed to discourage pecking.

The only other option would be to keep her in a pen, separate from the more docile hen.

3. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Maybe getting a few more hens would help?

4. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:I might try that, a few new birds might shake up the pecking order and put the bully hen in her place, or at least give her something new to think about.

I have a bully as well, and she may end up as dinner, since she caused a good deal of damage to the comb of another hen and seems to be very aggressive with most of the other birds.

5. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the help and ideas!

I've actually thought of finding her a new home (whether it is in the stewpot or in another backyard). I wish we could have a rooster as I'm sure he would let her know who is boss.

At the moment, we're leaning to getting rid of the EE, keeping the Speckled Sussex and getting a few hatchlings (perhaps Red Stars?).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by