...about had it with bully hen!

Mark & Nique

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 20, 2010
South Carolina
Howdy,

In the heat of the summer, our backyard flock shrunk by one, leaving us with 2 hens: EE and SS (Speckled Sussex).

The EE was at the top of the pecking order, but wasn't overly aggressive when there were 3. But now, she is a terror! We've given her time-outs, restricted her movements -- but whenever we reintroduce her to the SS, the EE quickly gets her into a corner and jumps on top, pecking away.

We've about had it with her. The only drawback is the EE is a wonderful layer of great eggs. We hate that she has turned into a bully hen!

Any ideas before we find her a new home? Thanks for your help!
- Mark

Mark, the only thing I can think of, besides making her into a nice soup, is these things called "Pinless Peepers". They're like little blinders that attach through the nostrils of the beak. (Apparently they don't hurt a bit.) They're supposed to discourage pecking.

The only other option would be to keep her in a pen, separate from the more docile hen.

Quote:
I might try that, a few new birds might shake up the pecking order and put the bully hen in her place, or at least give her something new to think about.

I have a bully as well, and she may end up as dinner, since she caused a good deal of damage to the comb of another hen and seems to be very aggressive with most of the other birds.

Thanks for the help and ideas!

I've actually thought of finding her a new home (whether it is in the stewpot or in another backyard). I wish we could have a rooster as I'm sure he would let her know who is boss.

At the moment, we're leaning to getting rid of the EE, keeping the Speckled Sussex and getting a few hatchlings (perhaps Red Stars?).

Back
Top Bottom