? about hatching in cartons

Quote:
The problem with increasing the temp a tad is tht on an LG incubator it's nearly impossible to make small temp adjustments and once you get it stable you want to NEVER touch it again. The knob is too sensitive and you will have issues at the most crucial time...so it's easier to just adjust in other ways. If you have your plugs out, you can use those to hold in a bit more heat, but it can also decrease air circulation...so it's up to each to find what works best for them. I prefer to use a separate unit and hatch on their sides, but it isn't always possible...like right now when they're all full!!

LOL thats alot of fuzzy butts you'll have! Does it matter is your carton gets a little wet? I agree with not adjusting the temp in an lg! ITs a bugger to get the temp just right!

I'm accustomed to the carton getting soggy, but it's far less soggy if you don't use a paper towel on the rack and cut out the bottoms. Works for me!

I am using the top of a carton this time - hope all works well. I was concerned when chicks hatched last time (two out of 12) the eggs were tossed around like the pins in a bowling alley- and then no more hatched that is why we decided to hatch in the carton top. Their due date is today- so I am hopeful these 12 will be ok although the humidity is fluctating horribly today- what could cause that?

I cut the bottoms out, and also cut the sides down a bit. I have had good luck this way, the chicks get out ok, don't kick the other eggs arround, and seem to like to snuggle into the empty holes to sleep after hatching. It's also easier if you have a week chick that can't stay upright to put in the egg hole and prop them up so they can't get on their back.I have one I'm doing that with right now. Thought I might have to cull, but its doing much better.
Good luck with what ever you decide to do, best wishes for a great hatch.

Back
Top Bottom