? about hatching in egg crates

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bearz, Jun 26, 2008.

1. bearz

bearz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    OK, so every single one of the eggs from my FIL that I candled has a chick in it, and most of my son's do too, so I'm hoping that this time I'm going to get them to hatch.

If I use the egg crate do I lay them down like they would normally in the bottom of the hatcher or do I put them in the same position they were in the bator?

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I put mine small end down (air cell up) in the cups... but I have seen people place them on their sides over the cup.

3. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Small side down. The air cell is in the large end. GOOD LUCK

4. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Mrs. Doolittle, you might want to punch a hole in the bottom of each pocket of the carton it lets air circulate a bit better. Place the big end up like you had them in the turner. These cartons make it a breeze to clean up also. My last hatch the caps fell back on the eggs like they had chicks still in the shell. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  5. bearz

bearz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    WHEW! Oh good, thats what I did. I'm running an incubator with several different hatch dates and then my FIL brought me up a ton of eggs from under his broody silkie. I candled them because he hadn't been keeping track of when they had laid them and 2 completely filled up the shells and it vaguely looked like the air sacks were on the top so thats how I put them right into the hatcher with the carton.

Then today I started secondguessing myself.

No babies yet, but I'm hopeful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by