? About hawks in winter.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Nicole01, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    We have 3 pair of hawks residing in my neighbors and our back yard. 2 sets are red tails, I'm unsure what the smaller set it. Anyways, every single time my neighbors let's her flock out to free range, the red tail set/s circle above her flock each and every time. She carries a stick in hand in case of a future attack. Her barred rock hen was attacked, but unharmed.

I'm a little shocked she still let's them out. I'd be afraid of losing one, especially my bantam. My girls are pretty happy in their coop and run so far. They have been pretty quiet and always taking dirt baths. I sprout alfalfa and sunflower for them and I'm getting nice deep orange yolks.

Will these hawks always hang out for the rest of the season? In the summer, we rarely see or even hear the hawks. There must be better food elsewhere.

I'd love to let my babies out, but not when it's so unsafe. Their run in covered in plastic, so the ground never froze inside. I can keep the water out there too, during the daytime.

These hawks will leave wont they? Once it's spring? I do miss letting my girls eat bugs, luckily they are frozen right now.

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    My girls go out and forage right now, it's only 38* here now, We have had hawk attacks. I was a little PO when it happened to the babies, there was a hole in the netting. You will probably see those hawks around for a long time, Sounds like they are paired and somewhere there's a food source. I take the risk and let my girls out, it's good for them, and soon they are all going to be stuck in a coop, once our cold weather really kicks in. We all make a chose of whether to or not.

3. egghead@1265

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2011
    U.S.
    We have had this problem at our house, year round for our chickens. We are in Wisconsin and our yard backs up to a natural reforestation property of wooded trails. So, we have our share of wild animals & predators, roaming/flying night and day!

I have read many others with ideas of solving these problems [​IMG] and found a few posts with helpful suggestions, many of which can "HELP," and be implemented easily and others not so. Of course, they don't all work, and some just aren't enough either.

I posted the post below, as it has some of the suggestions I have seen repeated in it, if you haven't already seen this one and/or tried some of the methods they have.

I find fascination in their pinwheel idea, and wonder how that has worked out or helped?! Also, the idea of old vhs tapes, haven't tried that one! I have heard that hanging anything shiny in trees around scares them, from ribbons, to cd's, dvd's to ribbon/wrap that is shiny/noisy.

Good luck!

This post
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=607069

4. Bill A

Bill A Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2011
    We have hawks all year, mostly Redtail and Cooper's. They will all attack chickens. I think it's worse in winter because there is less cover.

Bill

5. diggerthechickenman

diggerthechickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2011
    alabama
    i agree the less cover there is the easier the meal, i have red tail's at my house also . and as far as bantams they really dont stand a chance unless they have help likle a good watch dog. ive lost a few chickens to the hawks but it is the food chain, im just glad im sitting at the top.

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

The best advice I have seen in my opinion was to install t posts in and around where my chickens coop is. Hawks need a little air space to take off. I don't know if I have been lucky (probably) but I haven't lost one yet. Of course there needs to be strategic cover as well.

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My golden would be good, but she thinks the chickens are little dogs and a part of our pack. She does the play bow and tries to get them to play.[​IMG]. My Aussie has tried to herd them once and nipped my speckled Sussex. So much for dog protection. I'm praying the hawks leave once spring arrives. I've never in my life seen so many hawks in one area, even the other chickenless neighbors has noticed it.

8. Semper Fryers

Semper Fryers New Egg

Aug 27, 2011
    Yesterday I looked out the window and all the chickens were Frozen in the yard. I looked really weird; none of them was moving a bit. Then I noticed a hawk sitting in the pine tree just above my window staring at the chickens. I pounded on the window and the hawk took a long swoop down towards the ground, over the chickens, and flew away. I went out with my .22 but it was gone and the chickens were back to roaming the yard. And, yes, I know you can't shoot a hawk BUT I SWEAR it was a sparrow!

9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I let mine out.Used to keep them in the coop all winter,but there was to much pecking. I don't want to stand out in the cold anymore either. Unless there is an enclosed run you will probably have a loss as winter decreases the other food supplies. My hawk stays all winter long. I have found him sitting on my my chainlink fence looking into the chicken shed 5 feet away.

Semper I thought it was a crow not a hawk!
    [​IMG]

10. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    Mine free ranged til last Tuesday when my speckled Sussex was attacked by a hawk. It carried her over the fence where I chased it away. She was fine but it terrified me so the girls are confined to run. Maybe in the spring when there is more cover and food sources for predators we will let them out again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by