About how long...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicksinthemachine, Nov 14, 2008.

1. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    do most of you keep your peeps on medicated chick starter?

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I did chick starter for 6 weeks; then I went to starter/grower, etc. I pretty much followed the guidelines on the bag...

I read somewhere on here that they need the medicated feed for at least 6 weeks to build up their resistance to cocci.

Hope that helps...

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Mine were only on the medicated for about 3 weeks... then they were on grower and did well.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I keep mine on a combination starter/grower till they are close to laying age. Cant get just starter in my area.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Same answer as speckled. Mine were on starter/grower until 19 weeks when I got my first egg. I would have had to travel pretty far to get just medicated starter.

6. chicksinthemachine

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    Well I have been keeping mine on until they are about 4 months so should I cut back and start wiening them off when they around 6-8 week?

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Chicks are most at risk between 3-8weeks old. I don't think switching them during that period is a good idea. Your dropping off the medication and stressing them some through a feed change right when they are most likely to get sick. I switched my first 2 hatches after 10-12weeks and haven't used medicated feed since then.

8. chicksinthemachine

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    Okay so 3 months it is then. Thanks guys![​IMG]

9. donnaIL

donnaIL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    SouthernIL
    one bag of it then i put them on the non-medicated starter until they lay.

10. chicksinthemachine

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    I haven't ever put mine on starter/grower before but I will start. I always just switched them to layer crumbles slowely and added corn and eventually calcium when they were close to laying. Is it about the same price as the other crumbles? I get the 50 lb pound bags for about 10.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by