About me

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by minna, Nov 1, 2008.

1. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    I decided to give everyone a bio. Doesn't that sound fun. I am trying to get into this site and it's huge and a little confusing, but i hope to get straight soon. We live on a 30 acre what i call mini farm. We have 3 horses and get a cow seasonally to feed out and slaughter. We There was a beat up chicken coop attached to the back of our barn, it was more like a screened in lean to actually. My dh decided we needed some chickens. After fixing the coop and getting a brooder ect. we got our first chickens. My hubby of course soon discovered that he was too busy for the chicken business, so he gave it all to me. I wiped the slate clean a month or so back and sold all but my silver duckwing batams (almost regret that) and 1 RIR runt that my 2 yr is in love with. Then I ordered 54 chicks from a hatchery. My hubby then brought home 13 misc. chicks from the guy we had been buying from and last night brought home 40 more. I love my chicks. I am hoping to hatch my first batch on my own next week. A man gave me an incubator and our friend gave me some eggs so I'm on my way. We tried to let some chickens lose, i let 12 roos out and they disappeared one by one. Our lab was the cause of some, but we broke him and then I saw the major problem, a coyote on our pond levee. Now everyone is contained inside the brooder or the coop, until my hubby can build a decent run. My coop is quite large, but bare. Hubby made an ingenious automatic waterer for me back during the summer, as i was filling the 5 gallon waterer 3x a day. It also doubles as a low roost pole. We still need to make nest boxes, and a real roost pole, but right now everyone is under 2 months old, so it's not a major deal. Ok, so now I am rambling, but this is us and we are trying to make a go of this chicken deal.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hi Minna and welcome to BYC!
    I'm sure you'll be an old hand at surfing thru the forum in no time. Beware the incubating people. They'll suck you in. [​IMG]

3. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Welome Minna, your at the right place. You'll enjoy! [​IMG]

4. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Once you are on BYC for awhile, you'll get the hang of how things work! Best of luck with your "crew"!!

5. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    howdy Minna! Let's see some pics of that auto-waterer, the coop, and of course... the chicks!

6. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by