About Meraks

Cysco

Hatching
Jun 8, 2023
I hatched 13 chicks, 10 weeks old and they are dying. Meraks? I understand it's everywhere and my chickens must have already been exposed, but in 14 years this has never happened. My question is will my adult chickens get sick now even though they've been living with this disease all along?

Have you had one sent in for a necropsy? It's possible, but 10 weeks is still kinda young. Most of mine are 6 months and older when they start showing symptoms and it's not a sudden death

Have you had one sent in for a necropsy? It's possible, but 10 weeks is still kinda young. Most of mine are 6 months and older when they start showing symptoms and it's not a sudden death
No necropsy. I don't know where to get that done. They don't die quickly. Weak, not eating well, poor balance, then after a few days, death. Three so far.

It sounds more like maybe coccidiosis, what do their droppings look like? I would get some Corid asap and start treating for that, it won't hurt anything if it's something else, but coccidiosis can kill quickly. Dosing is 1 1/2 tsp of the powder or 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of drinking water for 5 - 7 days. Make fresh daily and it needs to be the only water they have access to during treatment. You can also give an oral dose to any that are having symptoms, in addition to the medicated water, dosing for that is here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
No vitamin supplements containing thiamine during treatment as that can reduce the effectiveness of the medication.
Corid is at many feed stores and tractor supply stores in the cattle/livestock section, pictures below.
2202129.jpg

1033284.jpg

Thanks. They had medicated chick starter for about 8 weeks which is what I've always done for chicks. This has been really strange to me.

Medicated chick starter may help prevent outbreaks, but it's not perfect, and they have to be exposed to coccidia while eating it for it to work. Outbreaks still can happen, and when they do you have to treat with the full strength medication. If in doubt, I would treat. The treatment is safe and will do no harm either way, better to be safe. At their age, it's more likely to be that than Marek's. Also look at feed, make sure there is not any signs of spoilage or mold. Sometimes a bag can be going bad on the bottom and the top looks fine. I always empty my bag into another container before using so I see all of it. Also look around for anything that they could possibly have gotten into, leaking fluid from engines, other chemicals, plants that might be toxic. A couple of years ago someone lost some chicks on here that ate poisonous caterpillars. Try to rule anything out.

So...I gave everybody water with Corid. Then I gave the sick ones a dose of Corid orally. I took a bowl and kitchen scales to weigh one. Less than half a lb. Almost 7 Oz. So I gave each one .5 ml and realized it should have bee .05 ml. I overdosed the babies! I hope they survive my care.

So...I gave everybody water with Corid. Then I gave the sick ones a dose of Corid orally. I took a bowl and kitchen scales to weigh one. Less than half a lb. Almost 7 Oz. So I gave each one .5 ml and realized it should have bee .05 ml. I overdosed the babies! I hope they survive my care.
Hi there, how are the chicks doing? I just made the same mistake of giving too much Corid with a direct dose. I'm so mad at myself. I am hoping your babies made it through and are doing okay 🙏

Back
Top Bottom