about month old quail with broken leg, help with treating

Lobzi

Crowing
14 Years
May 6, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area, EB
I taped it to try to stabilize it but is there anything else I can do for her? She cant use it and when I hold her up it dangles loosely unlike the other leg which is fine and is held stiffly.

She was jumped on too vigorously by a male. She was not ready for that. I tried introducing her to the older flock of quail and obviously it didnt work out, She is back with me and in the brooder with the younger quail chicks resting.

Any idea on how long it will take to heal, if it does?

She pulled te tape off over night so the new tape work goes under her wings but completely circling her body in an effort to keep her leg stable and up tucked under her body. I'm so sad this happened to her. I hope the joint heals.

Hope she heals soon :) i would suggest mixing electrolytes in her water to keep her well hydrated. Sav a chick is a great one. Also, maybe increasing the calcium in her diet would speed up the process. Try mixing some crushed oyster shell in her food. If the tape comes off, try a piece of bandage instead.

Not sure what type of quail maybe try a popsicle stick, toothpick, matchstick cut down to size and sharp end cut of or match end or something smaller as a splint could use some padding then splint then Bandage or tape
And agree with keeping hydrated and extra calcium can get calcium supplements to add to the water for cage birds could try that
Goodluck hope it heals fast

She a coturnix so fairly small though my largest and oldest in the brooder. Ithoughshr was ready to integrate in the pen but was wrong.
So yes I'm giving her vacuum in the crushed, shelled sunflower seed which she seems to enjoy and have made sure water is near her in the brooder. I will add sav a chick as suggested.
Regarding trying to fashion a splint on her tiny leg, I don't think I could do that.
Stabilizing it by taping it up next to her body seems the only way to treat the injury. So far she has kept fairly still resting and doing fine.
Thanks all and any idea on how long to keep her taped?

Last edited:
You can buy plastic splints intended for pigeons with broken legs. I guess it might be a little too big for her, but you might want to check it out.. Found a place you can get them: http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/misc-pigeon/752-leg-splint
With people, I guess bones generally heal to a point where you can start using the limb in 4 weeks. A very young bird might heal faster than that, if the leg is kept still.

Last edited:
So far this tape job is holding her leg up against her body. She doesn't have to move much to locate food and water. She is eating well and the only possible annoyance is the others climbing on her and stepping on her as they move about. She wants to be with the group though. I'm thinking a splint might just fall of. It is broken at the 'knee" joint so not in real need of setting as it seems to be in regular, folded position. Their little legs must be so fragile. This happened to a much younger and smaller one when it leaped out of my grasp. It didn't live long enough to heal so I've really not had experience with an injury like this. I had a two day old chick ifound under its mama with a totally dislocated hip. Repositioning and taping was successful and only required a week of stabilizing to heal. I'll let y'all know how it goes. I appreciate the support I get from this community of feathered friend lovers. Thanks to all for offering soo much.

She started trying to use her through the bandage. Took a closer look and the leg was out of it so I removed the tape from her body. I will check her out carefully but for now she is resting on my lap.
IMG

Last edited:
Update

As I was writing the previous message she stood up. I took her to the brooder to view her movement. She uses both legs though limping. It has been only about a week of healing. I'm very pleased and pleasantly surprised.

Another update:
She is walking using both legs equally. It's been less than two weeks and although a bit subdued she seems to be getting back to normal. I expect to start hearing cricket sounds from her again soon.

Back
Top Bottom