About Muscovy's

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

So, at about what age can you tell if you only have one? My Pekin got the curled tail feather at almost 5 months. I thought he was a girl cause I was told boys are quieter than females and more shy. He is anything but shy and he talks almost nonstop! He comes when you call him and loves to conversate with anyone and everyone. Very Sassy too. We call him a little smart mouth. It's probably a good thing that I can't understand him cause I'm pretty sure he's saying naughty words when he throws his little tantrums. He's mostly very sweet though.

My pekin drakes were very talkative too but lower in volume than a hen. I guess the best way to tell the sex of a single duck would be to compare pics of other people's muscovies at the same age. There is a definite difference in shape. Also, the females are substantially smaller than males. My 2 boys are about 13 weeks old and almost as big as my pekins were when full grown, just not as tall.

Hold on and I'll upload some pics of my boys at 6 weeks.

For perspective, that is a brooder lamp above their heads and their water dish is about 12" across. Hope that helps.

69521_ducklings_011.jpg

Last edited:
it'd be tricky with just one! very tricky if its your first mussie! i had a "girl" here for 7 weeks until they started feathering then i noticed my "girl" was a runt of a boy.

as said above have a search through the threads of other people asking the same thing, you'll find lots of pics of males and females at different ages.

Quote:
Rather difficult, unfortunately.. i to would agree with looking at others pictures.. i have a half dozen so i have comparisons, plus my oldest group i know the genders of.. helps loads with distinguishing.

Quote:
Someone on this thread that has Muscovies said about tails being pointy and fanned out. oh well you can't believe much of anything you see or read, sorry if I confused anyone. and about the tail wagging someone on here gave a link to a web site that actually said that drakes only wag their tails. I will see if I can find that one. But I have seen my females wag their tails so thats deff. not true about gender. So it's back to waiting and watching and comparing. When my duckling was 9weeks old and already larger than our females I had a pretty good idea by then we had a drake.

Quote:
Someone on this thread that has Muscovies said about tails being pointy and fanned out. oh well you can't believe much of anything you see or read, sorry if I confused anyone. and about the tail wagging someone on here gave a link to a web site that actually said that drakes only wag their tails. I will see if I can find that one. But I have seen my females wag their tails so thats deff. not true about gender. So it's back to waiting and watching and comparing. When my duckling was 9weeks old and already larger than our females I had a pretty good idea by then we had a drake.

Yeah, no way is that true i've seen my hens wag there tails... muscovy need to hatch wearing a bow.. pink for girls, blue for boys
lol.png

Quote:

Yeah, no way is that true i've seen my hens wag there tails... muscovy need to hatch wearing a bow.. pink for girls, blue for boys
lol.png

I agree, that would make it easy..
smile.png

I have several muscovy ....both drakes and hens wag their tails....I have some 11 week old babies and their red bumps started to appear around the bill and feather-line at about 8-9 weeks..but only there...
no more has appeared yet but the males bills have began to take on a red color from the bumps out...not the whole bill yet but the color is changing more on the males...I have 2 males and 3 females in this bunch
and my boys are bigger where as the girls not only are smaller but have a 'girly'-'dainty' type face.......Muscovy ducks in my opinion can't be compared to other ducks in the growth department...muscovy just
grow bigger and faster than my others ( maybe the pekin runs a close race)... like the others have said, maybe a pic?

I do not think that tail wagging is gender specific. All of my Muscovy and happy little tail waggers. I also don't think those red bumps.. or Carcuncles apear any time soon. You will have quite the wait. Sometimes they don't really change untill their full first year. Yes, the girls are smaller and no, they don't get the "red faces"

Back
Top Bottom