About Muscovy's

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by iloveducks, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Not sure if this was said or not but it also depends on your climate. A few mnths or a year ago we had a discussion on here about it and it seems that the sun might play a role in the amount of carnucling. Muscovies kept as indoor pets didnt have nearly as much carnucling as those that were raised outside.

But anywho - mine started getting their first little line of carnucling at about 8 weeks i would guestimate. and it stayed small and pinkish white for another week or two before it started expanding little by little. and that was on my males. a few of my females still only have abou an inch of carnucling where as my males have a mask.
    And tail wagging has nothing to do with it. Look at foot size, head shape, body length, and whether they coo or hiss lol

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Mary Did You Know....

3. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Quote:Yes they do get the "red faces" 0.o Ive seen a fe hens with my carnucling than the dakes!
    Hope these help some :

Female Muscovies:
    Smaller in size, Coo rather than hiss, wag tails just like the drakes, are a little "stockier", get the carnucling just like the drakes but not as much - which really just depends on genetics on how much carnucling is present anyway.

Female tail wagging
    [​IMG]

Female carnucling ( light carnucling) ( Its discolored because this was the day after her clutch hatched so shes been broody)
    [​IMG]

Here is the mother of the previous hen, still has a red mask although smaller than a drakes:
    [​IMG]

11 year old male ( feral type) and 9-10 month old female:
    [​IMG]

Here is a hen in front, drakes in the back, all about 5 months old?:
    [​IMG]

Pointy tail, where as on a drake its a little more fanned out.
    [​IMG]

Here is a decent picture to show a young male body type I guess. He isnt sexually mature yet, about 8 months I think. But hes starting to get the heavier body and you can see the tail and head shape.
    [​IMG]

I have plenty more pictures, I hope these help someone. I didnt read through the whole thread but it seemed that every other post was just repeating itself [​IMG]

4. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ok, I had a second to run through the thread and yall need pictures of younger ducks, lol, Sorry!

Ok, these guys are 9 weeks old:
    [​IMG]

Drake head:
    [​IMG]

Hen Head:
    [​IMG]

Drake head behind hen head:
    [​IMG]

Two hens in front, drakes in the back:
    [​IMG]

Ill have to look through my pictures at home for younger examples but these are what i have for now.

5. Miss Lydia

Quote:Great pics GW, love those ducks.

6. ian4379

ian4379 Songster

May 8, 2011
    Australia
    excellent pictures, just what was needed!

7. Miss Lydia

Quote:ian, you have beautiful Muscovies, how much do your girls weigh, they look alot bigger than the girls over here?and whats the law there? as far as owning them? thanks. [​IMG]

8. jdywntr

jdywntr Songster

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I have a question. Do only the boys raise the feathers up on the top of their heads? Or do girls do that too? In Goatwalker's last 2 pics, the males both have their feathers raised. I have one that does that sometimes but it seems that he/she is not growing as fast. Everyone else is cathching up but I think it might have been an older duckling.

Thanks

9. Miss Lydia

Quote:My girls do it too. My boys raise the feathers on their heads more and wag their tails more. my 3 month old doesn't have feathers on his head long enough to do it yet.

10. jdywntr

jdywntr Songster

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Quote:My girls do it too. My boys raise the feathers on their heads more and wag their tails more. my 3 month old doesn't have feathers on his head long enough to do it yet.

[​IMG] I was hoping that may be a sign. I have no idea how old my older ones are. I got them about 3 weeks ago. Some are getting their pin feathers in now. I'm thinking 9 weeks but I'm not sure. They have lost virtually all of their fuzz just a bit on the necks of some and under the wings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: