About Muscovy's

Not sure if this was said or not but it also depends on your climate. A few mnths or a year ago we had a discussion on here about it and it seems that the sun might play a role in the amount of carnucling. Muscovies kept as indoor pets didnt have nearly as much carnucling as those that were raised outside.

But anywho - mine started getting their first little line of carnucling at about 8 weeks i would guestimate. and it stayed small and pinkish white for another week or two before it started expanding little by little. and that was on my males. a few of my females still only have abou an inch of carnucling where as my males have a mask.
And tail wagging has nothing to do with it. Look at foot size, head shape, body length, and whether they coo or hiss lol

Quote:
Yes they do get the "red faces" 0.o Ive seen a fe hens with my carnucling than the dakes!
Hope these help some :

Female Muscovies:
Smaller in size, Coo rather than hiss, wag tails just like the drakes, are a little "stockier", get the carnucling just like the drakes but not as much - which really just depends on genetics on how much carnucling is present anyway.

Female tail wagging
aypybl.jpg

Female carnucling ( light carnucling) ( Its discolored because this was the day after her clutch hatched so shes been broody)
2edb8kk.jpg

Here is the mother of the previous hen, still has a red mask although smaller than a drakes:
fjmbfl.jpg

11 year old male ( feral type) and 9-10 month old female:
33ffbcl.jpg

Here is a hen in front, drakes in the back, all about 5 months old?:
2cdda9j.jpg

Pointy tail, where as on a drake its a little more fanned out.
zx790z.jpg

Here is a decent picture to show a young male body type I guess. He isnt sexually mature yet, about 8 months I think. But hes starting to get the heavier body and you can see the tail and head shape.
28tevdk.jpg

I have plenty more pictures, I hope these help someone. I didnt read through the whole thread but it seemed that every other post was just repeating itself
idunno.gif

Ok, I had a second to run through the thread and yall need pictures of younger ducks, lol, Sorry!

Ok, these guys are 9 weeks old:
20ud0tj.jpg

Drake head:
2bs35s.jpg

Hen Head:
oh74ee.jpg

Drake head behind hen head:
2jawz87.jpg

Two hens in front, drakes in the back:
2kq537.jpg

Ill have to look through my pictures at home for younger examples but these are what i have for now.

Quote:
ian, you have beautiful Muscovies, how much do your girls weigh, they look alot bigger than the girls over here?and whats the law there? as far as owning them? thanks.
smile.png

I have a question. Do only the boys raise the feathers up on the top of their heads? Or do girls do that too? In Goatwalker's last 2 pics, the males both have their feathers raised. I have one that does that sometimes but it seems that he/she is not growing as fast. Everyone else is cathching up but I think it might have been an older duckling.

Thanks

Quote:
My girls do it too. My boys raise the feathers on their heads more and wag their tails more. my 3 month old doesn't have feathers on his head long enough to do it yet.

Quote:
My girls do it too. My boys raise the feathers on their heads more and wag their tails more. my 3 month old doesn't have feathers on his head long enough to do it yet.

sad.png
I was hoping that may be a sign. I have no idea how old my older ones are. I got them about 3 weeks ago. Some are getting their pin feathers in now. I'm thinking 9 weeks but I'm not sure. They have lost virtually all of their fuzz just a bit on the necks of some and under the wings.

Back
Top Bottom