About ready to start a turkey flock...need some pointers.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lamanite Jim, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Lamanite Jim

Lamanite Jim Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2014
    I cleared out a section of ''the back 40' for a turkey run and a coop. I built a 12 x 32 foot run 6 1/2 feet tall. It is completely enclosed with 2" x 4" farm fencing. The coop is 4' x 8' and 9' tall. It has four roosts and is covered with tin siding. Now that it is built I have three questions: 1) Is the run tall enough? 2) Will the run and coop support 15 turkeys? If not, how many? 3) Will all breeds of turkeys get along? I plan to harvest about 12 turkeys every 6 months. Am I on track with my plan?

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia

3. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Long story shorter, to clarify, if you keep the poults of different breeds together from a very young age onwards, chances are they will get along for a while. But later on family traits will emerge, so if you mixed aggressive ones with non aggressive ones, despite 'nurture' and 'environment' you can still expect 'nature' to assert itself, often beginning quite young.

Best wishes.

4. Lamanite Jim

Lamanite Jim Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2014
    Thanks for the reply. I chose a height tall enough for me to walk under comfortably. I also was 'guess-timating' a height they might be able to fly under for short distances. This may not be a necessary planning consideration.

I read on another website that some breeds of turkeys grow to maturity (for harvest) in as little as 22 weeks. That is how I came up with an estimate of harvesting a dozen turkeys about every 6 months. The number of 15 birds I mentioned in my post was considering mortality and yes, I had planned on keeping a couple for breeding.

In the coop I stair-stepped four roosts made of 2 x 4s. Would that be good enough to accommodate/separate aggressive birds or should I add a second coop?

As you may have deducted by my questions...I obviously need as much advice as you are willing to provide. By the way, I am not raising the turkeys to supplement my income, I just want the sale of the birds to pay for my new found hobby. I can afford to make a couple of mistakes but I don't want to do it at the expense of the turkeys. I want to raise them as humanely as possible. I will probably have my neighbor harvest the birds. I will also try to avoid giving them individual names. I have been told that can be a mistake by getting too attached, which has already happened with our chickens (our girls).

Thanks again.

5. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by