? about run construction

worked good for me, but mine was cemented in as a 50x by 6x dog lot
big_smile.png

That's what I've been using b/c it was donated to us. I wanted to make the run out of galvanized hardware wire, but you can't beat FREE!!!!!
tongue.png

We covered the top w/ chicken wire b/c we have hawks and owls that live close by and visit the yard frequently. We actually just threw it together quickly last yr so the flock could move in and we want to re vamp it to give them a little more shelter to keep part of the run dry from rain or snow. It's the ghetto run right now b/c it has a little tin roof for coverage and a pitched tarp that's not really working thrown together w/ whatever materials we had around the yard to to put it together.
lol.png

We never did run the hardware wire around the bottom b/c we weren't sure if we liked the location of the coop. We have dogs that are in & out of the house all day, so we've never had a problem w/ day predators. We lock them up tight every night in the coop.

Besides the rain & snow, it's worked out great for us.

The only thing I'd worry about is the birds sticking their heads through it and somebody waiting for them on the outside. Not likely to happen, but if it could, I usually try and do something about it. I'm a huge fan of overkill.

I have to be the potential 'downer' here. My own dogs have ripped through chain link fencing like it wasn't even there. They are 100 lb. dogs though.

Having said that - I don't think any wild animal could get through it. I would also suggest putting 1" chicken wire or hardware cloth around the bottom two feet and bury it in the ground. Raccoons and cats can easily get their paws through and grab a chicken or the chicken can stick it's head out and get taken that way.

I would use it again if that's all I had and just reinforce the bottom with the extra smaller wire.

I think Chirpy's advice is good. If you can find some hardware cloth, put it around the bottom of the run to the height of about a foot taller than the average chicken's head. That way, if a coon climbs the fence, it still can't reach in and down to grab something.

Reinforce the bottom, as well. Chain-link fences usually have huge gaps.

Back
Top Bottom