About Selling Fertile Eggs

Mar 24, 2022
I started hatching out chicks to sell to help pay for the feeds of all my flocks. This is the time of year to be doing that but it will close off the end of April as most people will have their flocks assembled for the summer season. I wanted to sell fertile eggs instead of chicks because some people want to have the hatching experience. I have 3 gals who simply do not wish to breed with the rooster, which is fine they can die of old age here because they are my babies. So out of ten or so eggs there will always be a couple that are not fertile. I recently set aside about 35 eggs for a mass hatch (well mass for me) and out of those 35 after incubating for 7 days all but 6 were fertile. I started selling fertile eggs at 18 count for the price of a dozen because I felt like I might be cheating someone out of a full dozen of fertile eggs. Should I just be selling the dozen for the local going price or should I continue selling 18 at the dozen price? Is it dishonest to be selling a dozen knowing they will potentially be getting one or tow or maybe even more that are infertile? Am I giving away too many fertile eggs?

I don't think it'd be dishonest selling them as a dozen. There's really only so much you could be expected to control in the situation imo. Seems like the occasional infertile egg would just be a risk one runs buying hatching eggs. If anything, you could just offer to replace a few infertile eggs for anyone who wasn't happy.

I don't think it'd be dishonest selling them as a dozen. There's really only so much you could be expected to control in the situation imo. Seems like the occasional infertile egg would just be a risk one runs buying hatching eggs. If anything, you could just offer to replace a few infertile eggs for anyone who wasn't happy.
thank you.

I buy hatching eggs often. Most will give a couple extra to cover the oops ones that are not fertile. It’s a slippery slope when you offer to give more for a failed hatch. Sadly people lie, chicks hatch and they say none did. That’s why I don’t sell fertile eggs.

On the flip side MANY people have cheated me when no eggs were fertile. If you can watch for the eggs that are being laid by your girls who are divorced from the roo and remove them from what you sell.

Back
Top Bottom