? about Shrink wrapping...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mommywoes, Sep 15, 2011.

1. mommywoes

mommywoes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    So I have a question about shrink wrapping what causes it? I have 3 eggs that didn't hatch and I'm wondering if it is because my DH opened the incubator. The eggs did not have pips in them but when I did the eggtopsy I noticed that one of the chicks had internally pipped. The other two had unabsorbed yolk still but looked completely normal otherwise (aside from the inner membrane being sucked around them). 15 out of 18 hatched however 2 were sticky (only one had to be assisted out and boy was it STICKY!).

When I went to the gym on Tuesday 3 eggs had zipped and hatched and I gave my husband instructions to not "open the bator under ANY circumstances" he assured me that even if an egg opened containing hundred dollar bills he wouldn't open it. I was gone 1 hour. He opened it! [​IMG] He said he only opened it a little to remove the empty shells [​IMG]. The thing is 4 had already pipped 2 ended up sticky and 2 were just stuck (the inner membrane was sucked around them so tight they couldn't move) I cut the membrane off the 2 that couldn't move with nail scissors and they finished the hatch on their own. I'm so frustrated and mad at the same time grr [​IMG]

2. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Ask him for the $100 bill he must have taken out of the 'bater - that was the deal wasn't it? [​IMG]

Sorry to hear about your problems with the hatching. [​IMG]
    I have never hatched eggs, so I cannot answer your question about shrink wrapping.

3. mommywoes

mommywoes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Quote:[​IMG] Bwahaha [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. nurseshelly

nurseshelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:I'm not an expert, but from what I've read it's too low humidity during lockdown. I just started doing dry incubation during days 1 - 18, then 70% or higher if I can during lockdown. The chicks are coming out better and I haven't had any shrink wrapped chicks. I've only hatched one batch this way, and have a group in lockdown now, with one out. My DH kept wanting to add water, and I kept telling him NO! Finally I think he gets it that it's okay to not add water during days 1-18. He was so used to checking it and making sure it was correct on days I work, it was hard for him to change gears ... probably my fault because I didn't explain to him "why" I wanted it that way until later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by