About to go into lockdown, so not excited.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kvmommy, Jan 23, 2011.

1. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    I'm about to go into lockdown...should be exciting right? Well its not! It's agonizing. I'm pretty sure most if not all of my eggs are dead anyway, but if they weren't i'm worried they are now. My oil ran out last night, and I woke up to a freezing house. My oil co. is supposed to refill automatically but there were some issues. ANyway, they came and filled and left. Didn't turn on our furnace. We called them back immediately and had to wait 2 hours before someone came. I'm in CT so its freezing in here, my kids are freezing, i'm sick and I checked on my eggs and they are at 97 degrees. I'm starting to think hatching eggs just might not be for me. [​IMG]

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

At 97 degrees, they're fine. They may take an extra day to hatch, but ok. Don't stress, enjoy the hatch. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. KatieBugg

KatieBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Holts Summit, MO
    DOn't give up on them, My heater went out for a whole night and the eggs got chilly, but they are hatching today on schedule, who would have thought.

4. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    How sad! I don't know anything about hatching, yet, but I do hope there's a chance.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If they are indeed fertile, they will hatch. 97 degrees is a more than viable temp. for developing eggs. When a broody hen leaves the nest to drink, eat, poop, etc. the eggs cool down far more than that. Possibly the hatch date might be prolonged, but they should hatch.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    No problem. They'll be fine...

7. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    I actually meant 79 degrees! LOL But even if that didn't hurt it, I think the eggs are dead. They're too dark to really candle but there appears to be too much space in them left. I'm still going ahead as if they're fine, but I'm just worried. I'll be so sad if none of them hatch!

8. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    You still may be ok at 79 degrees. I've had it happen and all of them hatched anyway. Keep us posted on how they do... [​IMG]

9. stampntam

stampntam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    I hope it works out, keep us posted

10. mlove

mlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    Sorry you had such troubles and I hope your eggs hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by