About to let our chickens outside. Feedback?

CoopedUpFamily

Songster
Mar 20, 2020
Rhode Island
6A4A7128-53F9-4AEF-BE09-1B397963DDA9.jpeg

16x12 foot enclosed fence area with 2 coops. Outside of the area is surrounded by crude rockwall to prevent predators digging.
35E5F0A6-6FCE-48FA-ABA9-5D5D69FC95FF.jpeg

covered the top with chicken wire like a canopy. About 6ft 4 in height.

That looks nice and safe! I would consider cutting a few portholes at chicken height so that they can see outside. Cover with mesh. Mine love to lay in their run and on their perches and just watch the world go by when not free ranging. They might get a bit stir crazy if not able to see much.

That looks nice and safe! I would consider cutting a few portholes at chicken height so that they can see outside. Cover with mesh. Mine love to lay in their run and on their perches and just watch the world go by when not free ranging. They might get a bit stir crazy if not able to see much.

would never have thought of that. New to all of this

Looks nice! I'm sure the chickens will love it!

I like how you have chicken wire over the top. I'd like to do something similar to our run. We have a 20x20x6 run made of two dog kennels hooked together (chainlink fencing with gates).

How well does the chicken wire hold up without sagging? It's a lot cheaper than hardware cloth.

How well does the chicken wire hold up without sagging? It's a lot cheaper than hardware cloth.

I have a center post that is taller than the fencing. I also have them zip tied together while also being stapled to the fence using Poultry staples. It’s only been up a day but was easy to put up and light enough where I can’t imagine too much sagging.

I have a center post that is taller than the fencing. I also have them zip tied together while also being stapled to the fence using Poultry staples. It’s only been up a day but was easy to put up and light enough where I can’t imagine too much sagging.

Cool, I may have to look into doing something similar in my run. Right now it's open on the top. Maybe I can put a couple posts in the center that are 6.5-7ft tall and go from there. Thanks! And good luck with your chickens!

it was very easy. Quikrete red bag $5 and a post $8. Half a bag per post. Once the fence was up, the top took maybe an hour and a half

would never have thought of that. New to all of this

thats what we’re all here for! So none of us have to think of everything on our own. Yeah, chickens are more like dogs and cats than we give them credit for when it comes to curiosity. Four walls with no windows could be a bit visually limiting and could lead to boredom and bullying issues faster than if they had something to take their attention.

Back
Top Bottom