Prevent jumping a 4’ fence?

KimbosKluckers

Songster
Mar 11, 2024
White Mountains of Arizona
Hi. The chickens will have their own predator “proof” run but it is inside a yard with a 4’ fence. On nice days when I’m home to supervise I’d like to let them out in this yard. Rhode Island reds and barred rocks, I assume they can easily fly over that? Are my only options going to be totally enclosing the top or using electric wire? I was wondering about pvc roller bars that people use to prevent dogs and coyotes jumping over. Or do they not land on it first and just fly straight over?
Thanks!

I have a 4' fence and mine have never gone over it. I think it depends on the breed and how much interest they still have on what's on your side of the fence. (perhaps they're just lazy.)
I hope to make this yard very entertaining for them. I also hope I too have lazy chickens 😂
Neither of your breeds are prolific fliers, especially as they get older. I would just try it first. If you see there's one escape artist, trim one wing of that one.
That’s good to know. Thank you.

I have a 4' fence and mine have never gone over it. I think it depends on the breed and how much interest they still have on what's on your side of the fence. (perhaps they're just lazy.)
This 👆
I have a 3' fence and my dual purpose breeds don't fly over it. My lighter Easter Eggers have flown over it but only if they see something on the other side that they really want and don't have inside the fence.

I believe @centrarchid did an experiment and found that clipping both wings was more effective than clipping just one. I clip both wings on my ducks and it has kept them inside a 4' fence.

Back
Top Bottom