about to move out...

buck431397

Songster
10 Years
Aug 29, 2009
Pilesgrove, NJ
Ive got two 6 week old chicks that need to move outside tomorrow. I had all sorts of grand plans for reorganizing the chicken pen last weekend but then i broke my fingers...
hit.gif

Any advice on some last minute fixes i can make? i have a flock of older hens and a rooster, and a couple 12 week olds and two ducks. I let them all out to free range and would like them to be able to go in and out of the coop during the day..... i dont know how that will work.

They've been out playing with the flock a few times, and they do get picked on, but not abused ( they just have to stay out of the way i guess). I'm thinking ill have to put some wire across half the pen and let them sleep in the dog house. Will they be safe? Any other advice on helping them get along with the flock? I think things have been a little shook up since the younger ones came. more picking going on than i've ever seen.
hide.gif

Well thanks anyway guys, I have to say that my husband might want to live in the chicken pen now that i'm done with it!

I started with the lime, and then put down a fresh layer of mulch. then i put wire across half the pen.... I had EXACTLY enough wire. It was amazing! then i reinforced it with some boards and patched up all the holes i could find. Then i moved the babies out! I hope they don't escape!

And i did this all myself with only one good hand!
wee.gif

Wow, I'm impressed--you did all that with one hand!
bow.gif

Glad you got it figured out. I didn't see your post or I would have gladly responded with some sort of useless nonsense, in place of the helpful advice I'm sure you were hoping for. But it sounds like you've got it covered!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom