about to order more chicks... wyandotte questions!

MY GLW's are 18 weeks and through out their development have been
barnie.gif
as in, I know if you touch me I'll die!! then it was
love.gif
I love you please pet me! Now they are
frow.gif
Whats up?? Have any treats
droolin.gif

big_smile.png

Mine were screamers up to about 7 weeks, then settled down.

Now one of them has gotten into the habit of waiting for me to lift her onto the roost, so she clearly doesn't mind being handled.

Or to illustrate... picture a coop living area with the floor about waist-high, this hen standing in the doorway waiting for me to lift her to the roost. But no, I want to get my stupid bugger of a rooster up there first so I reach for him. He doesn't WANT to go on the roost, so for five minutes he and I go over, under, and around this hen in an all out battle, while she just stands there and looks at me, wondering why I'm taking my sweet time about putting her to bed. Battle over (the roo "won" when he managed to get out of my reach), she cocks her head to one side, looks me in the eye, and says "buk?"

If that's not calm, I don't know what is.

I have 3 GLW's and they are beautiful. Everyone loves them and is amazed how pretty they are. They are all very different in personality....Louise is very outgoing, friendly, inquisitive and wants treats from my hand, not tossed on the ground....Thelma has gotten friendlier since she is close to laying. Lola was always shy and low on the pecking order but she follows the others when they come running for treats. Nne of them likes to be picked up but settle in once I have them. My EE runs wen she thinks I'll pick her up... None of them are flighty, mean or very noisy

I was just reading this thread and wondered if the issues I'm having has to do with the breed. I just integrated a 17 week GLW and Delaware with an established 23 week old BR. They all get along fine...BUT every night the BR and Delaware go to the coop and my GLW stays in the run on a shelf by herself.
sad.png
She hates being picked up and put in the coop! She's not being picked on, so maybe this behavior is the breed? Any ideas????

Back
Top Bottom