ABOUT TO SET 24 MARANS EGGS! ANYONE ELSE SETTING EGGS? DEC. 14-16, Hatch Jan. 3-5th.

They are very cute. Are those BCM? Are they a breed you can autosex at hatch? I remember hearing that BR cockerels have a spot on their head like the Legbars. Fortunately my Rocky-girl didn't have a spot! And, then other breeds go by color or wings...I'll have to wait at least 4 months before I'll know what my silkies are!
th.gif

I'm up to 12 now. Unfortunately I have the flu so my wonderful husband is playing caretaker for us all. I will post some pics in a few minutes. Seems like I have quite the array of colors, although I have no clue what to call them.

They are very cute.  Are those BCM?  Are they a breed you can autosex at hatch?  I remember hearing that BR cockerels have a spot on their head like the Legbars.  Fortunately my Rocky-girl didn't have a spot!  And, then other breeds go by color or wings...I'll have to wait at least 4 months before I'll know what my silkies are! :th

CALI CHICK, how do you sex your silkies? I'm new so I had to wait till the crowing started! If there's a way to know sooner that would be awesome!

I'm getting some welsummer eggs from you later this week, really looking forward to it, will I be able to tell the sexes apart at birth? Is that what I'm hearing you say?

CALI CHICK, how do you sex your silkies? I'm new so I had to wait till the crowing started! If there's a way to know sooner that would be awesome!
I've never been able to sex them before 4 months old. The boys will be growing streamers in their hackles and the back of their crest by this time. The boys will also develop wattles and combs earlier (with red appearing in those areas). I've always bought good quality silkies from breeders so both sexes tend to get big round crests.........but the girls' crests are rounder without any streamers. The boys generally are bigger overall, stand taller and are more aggressive, but I've had some docile late blooming boys that didn't develop until 6 months. Oh, and I've had 2 silkie pullets crow, just before starting to lay so don't sell them off if the other indicators aren't present. It can be frustrating but really worth the wait for some nice silkies.
hide.gif
I have hatched out or bought about 3 dozen silkie chicks and I'm down to 3 adults, 2 pullets and these 4 babies..........

Back
Top Bottom