About what time of day do hens lay?

molliescollies

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
Hi everyone. I have a question. I have five wonderful hens that are about 20 weeks old (various breeds). Here is the situation. I put the hens up at night into their coop. I have to leave early in the morning for work (right after sunrise). I usually open the coop and let the girls roam free until the evening when they go back in the coop. Here's my question: Do chickens typically lay early in the AM, like my ducks? My ducks are usually done laying by sunrise. I am wondering if I should leave the hens in so they will lay in the boxes instead of all over the yard. Those of you with more experience, I would love to read your thoughts. Thanks!

Most of mine lay in the morning hours, I usually check for eggs about 1pm and will normally get them all. I do have one hen who now lays in the afternoons and I'll find one egg when I go to close them up for the night.
But as things go, they can lay just about any time of the day.....just depends on your hens. You can get them together and discuss with them what you would like to do, like have all the eggs in by noon, but be careful, some hens will not look at you when you say that and will figure they can do what they want.....

I have an 8mo old silkie who is on a 3 day schedule. She will lay morning, next day afternoon, next day late afternoon (around 3) then a day off.Then she starts the same cycle over. She's very fussy so everyone within a 3 mile radius knows she's fixin to lay an egg.

Mine lay mostly in the am but there is always one or two that lay about 5 pm. The hens each have their own revolving schedule. Some lay later each day some almost the same time. Individual as all get out. Gloria Jean

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Mine don't pay any attention to my convenience either!

Last edited:
Most of mine lay in the am too. It gets really noisy out there for a couple of hours! But, like many others, I get a few at other times (one around 2pm and a couple around 5pm or later). Just leave the hen door open and most will go inside to lay even if they are free-ranging. I have gotten a couple that were laid outside the coop but now they all seem to have finally figured out that the nests are cozier (and more private:). Although I have heard that Banties are famous for hiding their eggs in very out-of-the-way spots (I don't have any Banties).
Good Luck!!!

I have two RIR that lay before 9 am---the others lay in the afternoon--I collected eggs at 4:30 and when I locked the girls up tonight, there was an egg in the nest box...so someone laid after 4:30 and before 8!!

Back
Top Bottom