ABS Pipe

alec120psi

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 22, 2013
Has anyone used or heard about using ABS pipe for use as a chicken feeder? This is the black plastic pipe that is usually used for drains. I've been looking for PVC in 4" size but have only found ABS or PVC drain that has a black lining in it which also looks like ABS.

Thanks for any info here.

Alec

Last edited:
Yes I have heard of it. I even use one myself. The black plastic you are referring to is Stronger and Costs more than PVC. So yes you can use it. PVC is much cheaper and works just fine. Nothing wrong with the black pipe either. I have made potato guns out of ABS because it is much stronger.
duc.gif

Wish ya the best.

Cool. That is good news. I just wanted to make sure some chemical would not leach into the food if it was not food safe.

Thanks again

Do you not have a big box home improvement chain store nearby, such as Home Depot, Lowe's, Menards, and many more? The 4" PVC drainage pipe is usually located outside near the septic drain lines and stuff like that. Around here it only cost about $7.79 for a 10' long piece but I am sure you can use the black ABS pipe as well I just have never seen it used for feeders before.

With the 4" PVC you can build feeders that look like this for less than $20 each.

You can build them in many other styles and sizes as well, all it takes is a lot of imagination and just a little bit of skill.

Last edited:
T
Do you not have a big box home improvement chain store nearby, such as Home Depot, Lowe's, Menards, and many more? The 4" PVC drainage pipe is usually located outside near the septic drain lines and stuff like that. Around here it only cost about $7.79 for a 10' long piece but I am sure you can use the black ABS pipe as well I just have never seen it used for feeders before. With the 4" PVC you can build feeders that look like this for less than $20 each. You can build them in many other styles and sizes as well, all it takes is a lot of imagination and just a little bit of skill.
That is exactly what I had in mind. I actually picked up a piece of the 10' drain pipe and will put it together this weekend. Thanks everyone for all the replies and suggestions. I'll post a pic when done.

I am new here, but I am wondering about using capped off black abs pipe for my chicken nipples to be on.

It will work but not well. PVC is much better because it holds its size better when you drill it for the nipple. I use the black pipe for my long runs and connect it to PVC for where the nipples go. Let me see if I can find a picture. I know I've already posted it here somewhere before but it was a few years back.

I leave the corner just pushed together with no glue or fasterners so in the winter if it freezes it just pops apart and then when it thaws simply push it back together. This system has been working problem free for 4 or 5 years now. This whole system is gravity feed out of a 55 gallon barrel and doesn't have much pressure, ir it were hooked up to city water with pressure it would have to be redesigned.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom