Abscess???

Pharaoh16

Hatching
Jan 15, 2024
I'm not sure what's going on with one of my hens. I came home today and she was sitting down and sort of limping and not hanging very well with the rest of the flock. I picked her up and flipped her over and it looks like some sort of abscess or sack by her leg. Has anybody seen anything like this?
20240418_180408.jpg
20240418_180351.jpg
20240418_180315.jpg

It could be an injury from a rooster spur or something sharp. I would clean it with Hibiclens and water, then apply Neosporin or a similar antibiotic ointment twice a day. Manuka honey is also said to be good. Keep us posted on how she gets along.

It could be an injury from a rooster spur or something sharp. I would clean it with Hibiclens and water, then apply Neosporin or a similar antibiotic ointment twice a day. Manuka honey is also said to be good. Keep us posted on how she gets along.
Ok, I'll pick some up tomorrow and start her on a routine. Hopefully she'll be ok.

Let us know how she does.
Day 1---I picked up some Hibiclens, Neosporin, and Epsom salt after work today. I let her soak in a tub with a hole cut in the lid for her head. I filled it with warm water and Epsom salt just high enough to cover the wound (my other half recommended this) then the hibiclens and Neosporin on the wound. She's drying off in a dog carrier before I let her back into the coup for the night.
IMG_6243.jpg

Let us know how she does.
This wound is like a large fluid filled sack with the hard dark part. There does not appear to be an actual open wound anyplace. Should this be drained? It seems like the hibiclens and Neosporin is just cleaning the exterior of this.

Attachments

• imagejpeg.jpg
    imagejpeg.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom