abt to drain fluided off leg

itzybitzypretzle

Hatching
Jun 30, 2022
So my duck hasent been able to walk with out useing her wings we have been dealing with this promble for awhile but its getting real bad were abt to try to drain the fluid off it and whould like someone to kinda walk us though doing this cause not trying to hurt her any more then she already is and wht can i give her to help with the pain but i have tried to get her in to vet to have it drain but with the hole brid flue around its in possable to find any were to do this so iam going to do it my self ive decided this just trying i have an idea of wht to do frist if any one has did something like this i peg u to help us are ducks are pets we dnt use them for anything but a pet losing one will devestate us like big time we have had them a long time they lived in are bed room while they were ducklings and hand feed the hole time we dnt want to lose her and feel if we dnt get fluid off her leg she will we have been soaking her leg in episalts 3 times a day and it has not chaged the fluid has to be drained PLEASE SOME ONE HELP US THK U

So my duck hasent been able to walk with out useing her wings we have been dealing with this promble for awhile but its getting real bad were abt to try to drain the fluid off it and whould like someone to kinda walk us though doing this cause not trying to hurt her any more then she already is and wht can i give her to help with the pain but i have tried to get her in to vet to have it drain but with the hole brid flue around its in possable to find any were to do this so iam going to do it my self ive decided this just trying i have an idea of wht to do frist if any one has did something like this i peg u to help us are ducks are pets we dnt use them for anything but a pet losing one will devestate us like big time we have had them a long time they lived in are bed room while they were ducklings and hand feed the hole time we dnt want to lose her and feel if we dnt get fluid off her leg she will we have been soaking her leg in episalts 3 times a day and it has not chaged the fluid has to be drained PLEASE SOME ONE HELP US THK U
@azygous is the only BYC member *I'm aware of* so far that has experience in some surgery on chickens. This tags her. Please wait until she responds before you do anything - without a vet, you could injure her further or cause the infection to spread more.

Can you post photo of the leg and exactly where the swelling is? Do you know what's causing the fluid buildup? Injury or a bacteria? Has the duck experienced any respiratory issues before and during this swelling?

By all means you can drain the swelling. Be aware the fluid is very close to the outer skin layer, so you will go no deeper than the external layer of skin. no more than an eighth of an inch or maybe 4 or 5mm. Us a large diameter needle in a syringe and prep the site well with alcohol and use a sterile needle.

The most important thing is to be sure your duck is well hydrated with electrolytes before doing the procedure as removing any fluid can send the patient into shock.

@azygous is the only BYC member *I'm aware of* so far that has experience in some surgery on chickens. This tags her. Please wait until she responds before you do anything - without a vet, you could injure her further or cause the infection to spread more
Can you post photo of the leg and exactly where the swelling is? Do you know what's causing the fluid buildup? Injury or a bacteria? Has the duck experienced any respiratory issues before and during this swelling?

By all means you can drain the swelling. Be aware the fluid is very close to the outer skin layer, so you will go no deeper than the external layer of skin. no more than an eighth of an inch or maybe 4 or 5mm. Us a large diameter needle in a syringe and prep the site well with alcohol and use a sterile needle.

The most important thing is to be sure your duck is well hydrated with electrolytes before doing the procedure as removing any fluid can send the patient into shock.

It is both of her legs. what I would call the knee. I dont believe she has had any respiratory issues. The occcasional sneeze? This has been progressing for a while. The last time she saw the vet the swelling was less but still significant. However, Avian Flu was going around WAshington State and they could not let any birds or poultry in the clinic so the Vet came out to the car to see her. She has been on clavamox, she was also on arithomycin most recently.
This has been a long going sad and frustrating journey with not much hope. I do believe she has a niacin deficiency as I never owned ducks before and later on in their duckling stage I started to supplement brewer's yeast and later nutritional yeast into their diet, now I am using Durvet Super High B complex liquid. But nothing seems to be enough, as a younger duck I did notice her start to walk pigeon toed but knowing none the wiser, I didnt realize what a huge sign it was.
ALSO I did not know that ducks will eat just about anything and we had just moved to where we live now and the people before us left a lot of screws and bolts and such on the ground everywhere.
I know FOR CERTAIN she had consumed some hardware and a large oyster seashell I had as a decoration in my flowerbed.
All of my ducks were attacked by 2 pit bulls last fall. The extent it hurt them im not really sure.... because while by a miracle they all lived.... and only one of them had a significant puncture canine wound, two of my females have never been the same(Pretzle being the most severe) When we took her to the vet after she got attacked is when the vet saw in the xray the metal and realized her body must be attacking whatever metal was in her intestine near one of her hocks and causing a lot of swelling and discomfort. At this time her knees(im not sure if thats what theyre called? were not swollen yet) We took her for a follow up a few months later and another xray showed that the metal was dissolving quite a bit but that at any time she could go septic if it punctured her intestine. She was on and off antibiotics after that. She is not on any now. The next time she went to the vet she saw the other doctor and her conclusion is still basically tbd but leaning toward niacin defiency and calcium deficiency and possible stress preventing her body to absorb supplements properly.... which is heartbreaking because these are avian vets and we expected to get more of a solution and dont have much more money to keep giving without any solution.
I will add she is still eating and drinking but lays soft eggs which one she had today seemed really odd I will post a picture, I know that it was laid today or the day before because I cleaned out their duck shed entirely the day before that.
20220416_115908.jpg

the above picture is from april.this was

IMG_20220920_040307963.jpg

This was found much earlier today in a soft shell egg. the graininess is from the bowl i used to scoop it up which previously had duckle pellets in it. So I decided to cut it open and this is what I found inside, itwas hard,

Attachments

• IMG_20220920_040307963.jpg
    IMG_20220920_040307963.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 3
Of course, I'm no vet, and I need to admit I do not have any experience with ducks, just chickens. But despite that, ducks are poultry, and they lay eggs, so there is a lot in common with chickens.

The substance in the egg photo you posted looks like salpingitis, an infection of the reproductive tract. It wouldn't hurt to do a round of amoxicillin and it might help. Also, she could benefit from a calcium citrate tablet each day to try to improve her egg shells. Get the amoxy here. https://www.kvsupply.com/item/aqua-mox-250mg-capsules-100-count/P06184/ One 250mg capsule a day for ten days. Continue with the brewer's yeast.

The calcium you can get at Walmart if you're in the US. The citrate with D3 is absorbed quickest of all forms of calcium. Look for this.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom