Abundance of food!!!!!

Rt66Kix

Songster
6 Years
Feb 21, 2017
St. Louis, MO area
A friend works at a local food pantry. Unfortunately, they have to shut down for a month because they need an entire new HVAC system. She loaded up my car with just about everything you can think of. I WILL GIVE THE FOOD TO HUMANS IN NEED FIRST!!!!!!! However, there are several bags of fruits and vegetables a few days past their sell-by date. Also, potato buds, bread, cakes, pasta, yogurt, canned goods, etc. The chickens get a balanced pellet feed currently. Anything from the food pantry to avoid giving them? Please no judgment...I've spread the word to all my friends about this windfall. But I do have a lot of perishables. TIA

A friend works at a local food pantry. Unfortunately, they have to shut down for a month because they need an entire new HVAC system. She loaded up my car with just about everything you can think of. I WILL GIVE THE FOOD TO HUMANS IN NEED FIRST!!!!!!! However, there are several bags of fruits and vegetables a few days past their sell-by date. Also, potato buds, bread, cakes, pasta, yogurt, canned goods, etc. The chickens get a balanced pellet feed currently. Anything from the food pantry to avoid giving them? Please no judgment...I've spread the word to all my friends about this windfall. But I do have a lot of perishables. TIA

Awesome! I work with a local food pantry to pick up their “past usable date” items. Everything from a couple bags to a pickup bed full a week.

The flock will eat what they want and leave the rest. I compost in my run, which makes it easy, but if you don’t I’d give them what they can eat in a day and clean up after.

Greens are a favorite, as is most fruit. I feed breads, crackers, cheese, meats, etc in moderation, although some would not.

Turning landfill-bound food waste into chicken food and/or compost is a huge thing we can do for the planet. If every chicken owner did it, we’d be in a far more sustainable position.

Some of the things I can freeze. Salad mix, not so much! 😄

Make a soup with the salad mix and any other perishables that need to be dealt with quickly. You can freeze it and the chickens will love it. When I have too many extras to feed the birds all at once, I put it all in a big stock pot with just enough water for cooking and simmer it for a bit. They love their “soup.”

Back
Top Bottom