Abundance of rat snakes and the coop.

Chicken Tractor 31May22.jpg
Chicken Tractor2  31May22.jpg

Hey all. First chicks arrive in 2 days. Getting ready to build the coop and run.

The back side of our property running on into the neighbors is a water shed area. (Large city lot btw, nothing huge)

This gives rise to a glorious amount of amphibian life forms. Nothing poisonous but let's just say I do not have a vole or rat problem in the garden nor the compost bin.

They are beautiful rat snakes and sometimes black snakes, mud worms, salamanders, frogs, mostly toads, lizards and a fabulous ecology for my garden. Not bad for small city life.

So I've never wanted chickens and to fight for their eggs with the snakes and now I must have chickens.

My birds will not be free range. The horned owls own the place and the hawks are everywhere.

At least the owls help prevent overpopulation.

The run will be covered even more so with ai being suspect.

But here's my advanced risk management issue:. How do I keep the snakes from strolling in through their pop door during the day? It will probably happen.

Unless a roo will take care of it?

I cannot afford 1/2 cloth around run.

And also, do I need to use 1/4 " cloth at vents on the coop or is 1/2 sufficient? I'll increase the size of the venting if the smaller is used.
I know someone that swears by tule for predator control...Tule is a synthetic fabric used for wedding dresses and full skirts underlinings....anyway, the critters don't like it because the tiny netting catches their feet. For snakes, a snake barrier fence might be able to be constructed by simply folding the tule in have for a thicker barrier. Tule is cheap and can be found online or at stores like JoAnns fabrics and other outlets.
Found this:
If you live in an area where one or more venomous snakes are common, you may want to invest in a snake-proof fence, according to NCSU. "Small areas where children play can be protected from all poisonous and most harmless snakes with a snake-proof fence," it noted. "However, the cost of the fence may make it impractical to protect an entire yard."

Make a fence by burying 1/4-inch mesh wire screening 6 inches underground and building it up 30 inches, instructed NCSU.

"It should slant outward at a 30-degree angle from bottom to top. The supporting stakes must be inside the fence and any gates must fit tightly. Tall vegetation must be removed along the fence, both inside and outside."

10 chickens at about 3/4 size in a 4 x 6 tractor. I move em around in the mornings, stimulate them somehow. They really like being moved and always anticipate me moving them in the mornings and evening. I park the tractor up by the house under the motion detector lights. They can hear us open and close the door. Think that makes them feel safer (and they are because of the critters that like the shadows), but they need outta there the poor babes. I need the HEAT top go away. Can't do squat but park them under the shade and WAIT until I can situate a netting as a run.
I catch grass hoppers and toss 'em in there. Really CUTE. I freeze cooked rice and spaghetti. Oooh boy, do they like that. So sweet.

Back
Top Bottom