Abundance of rat snakes and the coop.

Maybe a spiky barrier? Like the nail boards beekeepers use to keep skunks from camping out at the hive entrance. I saw someone said rose bushes trained along an access route ended their snake problem. Metal lath is sharp enough, even if you don't use it for a predator apron, it might be cut into strips and attached along the bottom of your fence to keep snakes from crawling through or climbing the fence.

If you take out the snakes, you likely will have rat and vole problems.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I haven't wanted chickens until now. I don't want to upset the eco system.

My daughter has digest problems. Basically, everything hurts her to eat, except eggs.

I'm thinking I will need to be very quick on picking up eggs.

Figure it out along the way.

Not real certain how to address this because some find it offensive. It's a matter of perspective, really.

I want to address this for the reality of the soon-to-swarm of folks who will be experiencing this and also for those who already are but are afraid to talk because of this problem of perspective.

One who has a sufficient cash flow considers this a matter of priorities.

This is not a problem of priorities. It's a cash flow problem. If there's not enough cash, a switch in priorities isn't going to matter. There's nowhere to supplement cash in order to afford more 1/4" hardware cloth.

There are some other options but they are not reliable and require persistence, long-suffering, time and a bit of luck.

But watch this:

After I made this post, I went back to calculating square footage of the run and headed over to calculate price per square foot of steel fencing, chicken wire, various hardware cloths.

SOLD OUT in my area.
Nothing offensive in your post. I was simply pointing out that chicken wire is not effective, even when doubled or more, and HC, while expensive, is a better option. There's videos on YouTube of large rat snakes killing full size chickens. It comes to a point where if one can't afford the material, and I get that. However, eggs at the store are cheap. It's difficult to add the cost of material, the chickens themselves, feed, and have the cost of the eggs cheaper than going to the store. But they taste sooooo much better. It might make sense to aquire the proper material in the next few months to spread out the cost.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I haven't wanted chickens until now. I don't want to upset the eco system.

My daughter has digest problems. Basically, everything hurts her to eat, except eggs.

I'm thinking I will need to be very quick on picking up eggs.

Figure it out along the way.
I suggest attaching 2 or more layers of heavy duty 1" galvanized chicken wire if you cannot find or afford hardware cloth. By overlapping it you'll leave 1/2" openings .There will be no eggs to collect if predators kill them first. The 2" chicken wire traps chickens and lets most predators in. Weasels live around water and can squeeze thru anything bigger than a 1/2" gap or hole. Good luck!

I suggest attaching 2 or more layers of heavy duty 1" galvanized chicken wire if you cannot find or afford hardware cloth. By overlapping it you'll leave 1/2" openings .There will be no eggs to collect if predators kill them first. The 2" chicken wire traps chickens and lets most predators in. Weasels live around water and can squeeze thru anything bigger than a 1/2" gap or hole. Good luck!
Theoretically, that works, but it's impossible to overlap it perfectly. There is going to be areas that will have large enough openings for snakes or other critters to gain access. And I'm sure there's coons around the area that could easily tear through the chicken wire.

The only barred rock to survive out of the last batch of chicks I ordered. All the others died after I sold them. Their runs have chicken wire.

Attachments

• WP_20210811_15_22_19_Pro.jpg
    WP_20210811_15_22_19_Pro.jpg
    863.5 KB · Views: 5
Theoretically, that works, but it's impossible to overlap it perfectly. There is going to be areas that will have large enough openings for snakes or other critters to gain access. And I'm sure there's coons around the area that could easily tear through the chicken wire.
I agree wholeheartedly but its easier if its covered with a single layer of 2 inch chicken wire. All they have to do is reach their paw inside to kill them. Thats a gruesome scene.

I agree wholeheartedly but its easier if its covered with a single layer of 2 inch chicken wire. All they have to do is reach their paw inside to kill them. Thats a gruesome scene.
My pet peeve is having to sift thru listings for authentic 16 gauge welded galvanized steel mesh hardware cloth. If you can cut it with scissors it won't keep predators out.

Well. Everything's changed. The post office called me before hours yesterday and I went around back to pick them up. I thought that was sweet of the worker. She even asked if i was getting more. Lol

But now they are here and the magic has happened and as I think of a flimsy run, "Ah, hail no!"

Oh muh gollies they are so cute, so clumsy and sweet natured. (Barred rocks)

Something else has changed. Local code. They allow chickens but they changed code to reflect a requirement of a minimum 900 SQ ft of living space. That's a lot of wire! However, I know that if t he birds are clean and healthy and not bothering anyone, they're not going to enforce it. But what if a neighbor got a wild hair up their nose? Nobody's living in these houses. One guy is remodeling to rent out.

I will need to end up with that 900 SQ ft and secure them such that the roo would be the only nuisance.

I have one of those boxes of poly twine, 20,000 ft. I'm thinking bright yellow bird netting. Can weave it into the chain link fence and such.

Sigh

Back
Top Bottom