Abysmal scaly leg mites

Ivermectin, or in case he may be headed for freezer camp at some point, dunk his legs in gasoline and cover with vaseline or something similar to loosen up dead scales. Sounds redneck but works. That's the method I use. Dunk, skip a day, then dunk again and that usually gets rid of them.

I would soak his legs in warm soapy water, say in a bathtub inside, for about 20-30 minutes. If you can use a toothbrush to gently rub the scales to loosen them, it would help. Dry him well, and apply a thick oil, such as vaseline, castor, or mineral oil, rubbing it well into the scales. Repeat at least twice a week for several weeks until you see some new scales coming in.

Attachments

• 20221101_102333.jpg
    20221101_102333.jpg
    468.8 KB · Views: 45
I might treat his legs and feet once a day for the first week. Those are pretty bad. Ivermectin can also be used. If you use the 5 mg pour on, dosage is 0.1 ml for every 2 pounds of weight placed on the back of his neck over the spine.

they are quite dirty because I put Vaseline on them yesterday, but that is just terrible
Use ivermectin and treat again in 14 days (if you haven’t done so) that’s a very bad case. Poor wee fella, once you treat with ivermectin you will need to treat the whole coop/run with some sort of insecticide or they will just keep getting infested, I would treat the whole flock.

I'm am helper at a chicken rescue. First photo is November 8. He had bumble foot and I thought some scaly mites but then I noticed he was going bald on his chest and had those horrible sores. Are those scaly mites too or what. We do have ivermectin Please tell me if you can see the 3 photos.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-16 at 9.18.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-16 at 9.18.32 AM.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 39
  • tempImageZxJ09d.png
    tempImageZxJ09d.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 29
  • tempImageK63XOx.png
    tempImageK63XOx.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 45
I'm am helper at a chicken rescue. First photo is November 8. He had bumble foot and I thought some scaly mites but then I noticed he was going bald on his chest and had those horrible sores. Are those scaly mites too or what. We do have ivermectin Please tell me if you can see the 3 photos.
Welcome To BYC

Looks like he has Scaly Leg Mites with some infection on his foot.
The Ivermectin can help eliminate the SLM but you'll want to tend to the foot daily if possible. I'd give the foot daily soakings or at least swab well with Chlorhexidine, then apply triple antibiotic ointment. The scaly/crusty buildup will eventually fall off on its own.
Ivermectin dosing is found here https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mites-lice-now-hen-growling.1242981/post-19965544

The sores on his breast/chest looks like Breast Blister, this is usually cause by a bird sleeping on damp bedding, rubbing against a rough roost while sleeping or similar. It's similar to a pressure sore.
I'd treat it similarly as the feet. Clean with Chlorhexidine, then apply a little triple antibiotic ointment to the sore. Depending on how deep the sore is, you may need to clean the pus out of the sore. Chicken pus does not dry up on its own.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ister-graphic-pictures.1096276/#post-16850510

Back
Top Bottom