Accepting what might be and pushing forward.....need advice on multiple concerns.

Pics
The fennel tea worked for my girl, as well. ♡ I'm glad it helped yours too, Chopper.
That was your post I was reading! I remember your name. 😊 Again, this site has been a blessing. Such wonderful members who help and support each other by sharing experiences and advice. Plus, the fact that members can find similar situations to help with their own struggles - which is what happened when I found yours!

So, it seems while the chickens are on Trimethoprim/Sulfa powder and for at least 10 days after, eggs must be thrown out. Any opinions on if that is long enough? I've been reading a lot of conflicting data. Ughhhh, sickens me to think that at least 150 eggs will be tossed....

That was your post I was reading! I remember your name. 😊 Again, this site has been a blessing. Such wonderful members who help and support each other by sharing experiences and advice. Plus, the fact that members can find similar situations to help with their own struggles - which is what happened when I found yours!
This group really is a blessing. We have Saaniya and Lillith37 to thank for the fennel tea suggestion ♡

Hang in there, Chopper!

So, it seems while the chickens are on Trimethoprim/Sulfa powder and for at least 10 days after, eggs must be thrown out. Any opinions on if that is long enough? I've been reading a lot of conflicting data. Ughhhh, sickens me to think that at least 150 eggs will be tossed....
People can be allergic to sulfa drugs. I know people who won’t use it because of their own sensitivity. Sulfa has been used for a long time to treat coccidiosis, and most people never used very long withdrawal times in the past. I would only treat one hen with SMZ TMP because some articles say to toss eggs for a long time:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/339...n whole,; Sulfamethoxazole; Trimethoprim; WDI.

People can be allergic to sulfa drugs. I know people who won’t use it because of their own sensitivity. Sulfa has been used for a long time to treat coccidiosis, and most people never used very long withdrawal times in the past. I would only treat one hen with SMZ TMP because some articles say to toss eggs for a long time:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33984411/#:~:text=The residues levels in whole,; Sulfamethoxazole; Trimethoprim; WDI.
And it's not good to feed them back to the chickens (cooked, of course) due to chickens possibly developing resistance to the antibiotic?

Ughhh, Chonk (the heftier lavender...all names were picked out by my kiddos, lol) was laying down in the corner of the coop. I have her on my lap right now, and she is sleeping. Well, her eyes are closed, at least. Her beathing seems to be more deeper than normal. 😞 It is definitely not normal for her to let anyone pick her up without a protest, let alone sit on a lap. Her crop feels squishy, so I am going to start with treating her for sour crop.

Last night, we moved the lame pullet into the garage. I know she is dying, and I read that chickens prefer a quiet dark place. I spent some time petting her and talking to her. I offered her some water, but she had no desire to drink. We went to close all of the coop doors, and saw that the other pullet remained in the kennel within the coop. She still has function/coordination in her legs. She just doesn't want to leave the kennel, nor does she want to eat and drink. There was ANOTHER pullet laying on the coop floor, facing the corner, while everyone else was on their roosting bar. I put her in the kennel by the other pullet. She went over and jumped on the perch we had put in there earlier. (It is securely wedged in between the kennel wires, only about 4" off the ground.) Even when they don't feel good, it's amazing how they will try to do the normal routine until they physically can't. I understand why it can go unnoticed when a chicken is not well.

I know @azygous is right....I should send the next one in for necropsy. I just don't think my hubby will agree. He has been really regretting this idea of his, and he'd like to be done with the whole chicken thing and move on. Don't get me wrong, I, too, had wanted chickens....just not so many.

Thank you so much for sending me that info. We did send one in for necropsy around July 10. So far, results are positive for MS, MG, and salmonella. Also, a doctor I talked to a doctor there, who was very helpful with explaining some of the preliminary results, and then she emailed me something she forgot to mention.

"The necrotic enteritis condition is presumed to have allowed this bacteria to enter the blood stream through the ulcerated intestinal lesions adding “E. coli sepsis” to the list of conditions endured by this particular pullet."

She also said that I should get a finalized report in about a week.

I picked those meds (another round of corrid, denagard, and the Trimethoprim/Sulfa powder) because of the helpful advice of you and other members....just wondering if I am missing something, or if I'm too late with some. Or do you think I need to send another one in? Like, maybe something else is going on? Gosh, I hope not.
E. Coli sepsis is a widespread killer. It it also very transmissible from bird to bird. Most strains of E. Coli will respond to antibiotics however. Whether or not the affected bird pulls through depends on many factors -- nutrition, general well being, etc. Antibiotics, good food, and sunshine are their best hopes right now.

The Tri-Sulfa powder will treat both bacteria and coccidiosis -- so you don't need to double up on them. Just use the Tri-Sulfa.

E. Coli sepsis is a widespread killer. It it also very transmissible from bird to bird. Most strains of E. Coli will respond to antibiotics however. Whether or not the affected bird pulls through depends on many factors -- nutrition, general well being, etc. Antibiotics, good food, and sunshine are their best hopes right now.

The Tri-Sulfa powder will treat both bacteria and coccidiosis -- so you don't need to double up on them. Just use the Tri-Sulfa.
You must have read my mind! I was just wondering if I needed to stop the antibiotic since there seems to be a major decline since starting it. Ok, I will continue with the treatment. Your post has given me some relief. ❤️

I also no longer think Chonk has sour crop. 🤷🏼 There may be a little something in her crop, but definitely not what I was thinking. I will keep checking throughout the morning. She is not doing well at all. 😣

So, Chonk passed away about an hour after my last post. Bonk is still showing symptoms, too, of being "off." She is staggering like she's lost her ability to keep balanced. (Not sure if I mentioned this earlier, and my phone is acting up, so I cannot read the prior pages on here.) I know MS can cause lameness, but as I was reading more this morning, it seems the lamenss is due to swelling and soreness in the joints. I do not see that in any of the symptomatic birds, and I cannot find any info that shows MS causes balance issues. Bonk will stand up, be fine for a moment, and then start running sideways, and end up falling over on her side. If she's standing (more like squatting), she will have a wing out to help stay upright. This morning she tipped on her side, and my daughter helped her get upright. On another note, Honk is still doing very well. 🤷🏼

I spent an hour reading up on diseases & treatments this morning while holding the pullet who I thought was going to pass...yes, she is still hanging in there. The other pullet has remained the same....still having issues walking, and I find her sitting on her hocks often. Are loss of balance and sitting on hocks symptoms of the diseases I am trying to treat?? If so, can these symptoms reverse with continued care, or are they signs that these chickens are past the point of recovery? I know another necropsy may be beneficial, but I haven't asked my hubby yet ...like I mentioned earlier, he feels this whole experience has put way more stress on us, and he wants to be done with it all. He knows I'm very attached, so he is being supportive as best as he can, but I know he will draw the line and make a rational decision over my emotional, if need be.

The tri-sulpha meds were finished yesterday, so I gave everyone poultry cell in their water this morning. I will give Bonk and the healthier of the 2 pullets vitamin B Complex and vitamin E. I don't know that I want to force anything into the one...I am just trying to keep her comfortable.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom