Accepting what might be and pushing forward.....need advice on multiple concerns.

Pics
Are you planning to repeat the Tri Sulfa treatment 10 days after the last day of the first one?

Since your report confirmed coccidiosis (the protozoa parasite) in addition to bacterias, a follow up of Tri Sulfa would be needed to break the parasite's cycle.
Yes, thank you for the reminder! I put it on my phone calendar, but now I added it to my wall calendar. 😊

Update: Bonk and the pullet got epsom salt soaks yesterday. They both seemed to relax in the water. I only held them in the water enough to let their feet, belly, and back end to soak for about 10 minutes each. Goal was to hopefully help their joints with the epsom salts and to clean up their poopy bottoms. We dried them very well and kept them out of their kennel for about an hour so they could enjoy some greens and sunshine, all the while adjusting them as needed to continue drying their feathers. Bonk enjoyed fresh chopped dandelion greens, but the pullet has not developed an interest in them yet. Both ate and drank well. I made an area in the garage for them to sleep last night since they were just slightly damp before bed.

This morning, Bonk seems like she went backwards in her recovery. Sleeping a lot, less apt to stay upright. She is currently eating, tho. I have to encourage her to drink. I will make her a nutridrench water and give both birds their Vit B Complex and Vit E when I am done with this post. All birds have had Poultry Cell in their water for the past 3 days.

I received a response from Mr. Kean last night. Here's part of it:

"That’s interesting about the worst case of coccidiosis. I wonder if the weather played a part (?). The organism that causes coccidiosis multiplies very well in wet conditions. Generally, chickens will be exposed to small “doses” of it, and slowly develop resistance to it. When they get too much too quickly, it causes disease. I’m guessing that since it was very dry earlier, they may not have had that early exposure to develop resistance, then with the recent rains, they may have gotten a heavy dose. (I’m assuming your weather has been like ours here, though I’m not sure.)

Sand can work fairly well as bedding, as long as it drains well. We usually want to keep the litter dry, to decrease the numbers of the organism. If there are things you can do to improve drainage, those would be good. I’m not sure what waterers you are using, but keeping water spillage limited is good. I don’t think you’ll ever “get rid” of coccidiosis, but it should be manageable. Keeping the litter and run fairly dry is usually a key.

Regarding the current issues with balance / legs, I’m not sure. It could be a vitamin issue. I’m sure a bad case of cocci has damaged their digestive tracts, so they may be having trouble absorbing nutrients. Are you seeing diarrhea? If so, this will flush out a lot of electrolytes, too. Dehydration can also cause balance problems. I’m a little hesitant to suggest electrolytes in the water, as I’ve seen this go too far and they have problems with excess salt. I guess I’d suggest making sure they have plenty of fresh water. You might try electrolytes on a short-term basis, I guess.

Finally, finding a veterinarian is difficult. You might try asking your county extension office if they know of anyone. If there is a local feed store, they might know of some, too. Other than that, I’m not sure what to suggest, short of calling some vet clinics and asking."

There was more, but these are the main points. I was hoping for more of a direct plan, like, " Do this, this, and this..., " but I didn't learn anything that you all haven't already explained to me. However, I am very grateful for his time and response.

As far as coccidiosis/ wet environment, early summer, I had ran soaker hoses thru the runs to help cool things off when it was so hot and dry out. I wonder if I had created the mess I am in....or at least intensified the problems. Coops have been kept clean and dry, so that's the only thing I can think of.

Update: Bonk and the pullet got epsom salt soaks yesterday. They both seemed to relax in the water. I only held them in the water enough to let their feet, belly, and back end to soak for about 10 minutes each. Goal was to hopefully help their joints with the epsom salts and to clean up their poopy bottoms. We dried them very well and kept them out of their kennel for about an hour so they could enjoy some greens and sunshine, all the while adjusting them as needed to continue drying their feathers. Bonk enjoyed fresh chopped dandelion greens, but the pullet has not developed an interest in them yet. Both ate and drank well. I made an area in the garage for them to sleep last night since they were just slightly damp before bed.

This morning, Bonk seems like she went backwards in her recovery. Sleeping a lot, less apt to stay upright. She is currently eating, tho. I have to encourage her to drink. I will make her a nutridrench water and give both birds their Vit B Complex and Vit E when I am done with this post. All birds have had Poultry Cell in their water for the past 3 days.

"That’s interesting about the worst case of coccidiosis. I wonder if the weather played a part (?). The organism that causes coccidiosis multiplies very well in wet conditions. Generally, chickens will be exposed to small “doses” of it, and slowly develop resistance to it. When they get too much too quickly, it causes disease. I’m guessing that since it was very dry earlier, they may not have had that early exposure to develop resistance, then with the recent rains, they may have gotten a heavy dose. (I’m assuming your weather has been like ours here, though I’m not sure.)

Sand can work fairly well as bedding, as long as it drains well. We usually want to keep the litter dry, to decrease the numbers of the organism. If there are things you can do to improve drainage, those would be good. I’m not sure what waterers you are using, but keeping water spillage limited is good. I don’t think you’ll ever “get rid” of coccidiosis, but it should be manageable. Keeping the litter and run fairly dry is usually a key.

Regarding the current issues with balance / legs, I’m not sure. It could be a vitamin issue. I’m sure a bad case of cocci has damaged their digestive tracts, so they may be having trouble absorbing nutrients. Are you seeing diarrhea? If so, this will flush out a lot of electrolytes, too. Dehydration can also cause balance problems. I’m a little hesitant to suggest electrolytes in the water, as I’ve seen this go too far and they have problems with excess salt. I guess I’d suggest making sure they have plenty of fresh water. You might try electrolytes on a short-term basis, I guess.

Finally, finding a veterinarian is difficult. You might try asking your county extension office if they know of anyone. If there is a local feed store, they might know of some, too. Other than that, I’m not sure what to suggest, short of calling some vet clinics and asking."

There was more, but these are the main points. I was hoping for more of a direct plan, like, " Do this, this, and this..., " but I didn't learn anything that you all haven't already explained to me. However, I am very grateful for his time and response.

As far as coccidiosis/ wet environment, early summer, I had ran soaker hoses thru the runs to help cool things off when it was so hot and dry out. I wonder if I had created the mess I am in....or at least intensified the problems. Coops have been kept clean and dry, so that's the only thing I can think of.
WHY IN THE WORLD did this professional just misuse the word cocci?

I am not directing this towards you but when I see people mentioning running misters or wetting a chicken area I immediately think they are nuts for doing so. I would NEVER purposely wet or dampen my birds area.

It is true that having coccidiosis ruins their intestines permanently and prevents them from absorbing proper nutrition.

I would be careful about bathing the sick birds because it can stress them enough to make things worse or kill them.

I am not directing this towards you but when I see people mentioning running misters or wetting a chicken area I immediately think they are nuts for doing so. I would NEVER purposely wet or dampen my birds area.

It is true that having coccidiosis ruins their intestines permanently and prevents them from absorbing proper nutrition.

I would be careful about bathing the sick birds because it can stress them enough to make things worse or kill them.
Thank you. There is SO much to learn and understand about chickens. They seemed to LOVE the soaker hoses, and their runs are large, so I thought they'd have plenty of areas to stay out of the wetness. At the time, I thought it was a good thing. We stopped doing it because it seemed to attract flies. I'm definitely getting some education here, and unfortunately it's at the expense of my poor chickens.

As far as bathing chickens, I do understand that it can be stressful, and I appreciate your reminder. I was concerned with skin irritation, and I didn't want flies attracted to them. What would you do to clean up a poopy butt? I'm assuming a damp washcloth and trimming the fuzzy area to help keep it clean? So my interpretation of them relaxing while soaking could have been more of them being stressed.... 😔 Gosh, I feel like an idiot sometimes.

Thank you. There is SO much to learn and understand about chickens. They seemed to LOVE the soaker hoses, and their runs are large, so I thought they'd have plenty of areas to stay out of the wetness. At the time, I thought it was a good thing. We stopped doing it because it seemed to attract flies. I'm definitely getting some education here, and unfortunately it's at the expense of my poor chickens.

As far as bathing chickens, I do understand that it can be stressful, and I appreciate your reminder. I was concerned with skin irritation, and I didn't want flies attracted to them. What would you do to clean up a poopy butt? I'm assuming a damp washcloth and trimming the fuzzy area to help keep it clean? So my interpretation of them relaxing while soaking could have been more of them being stressed.... 😔 Gosh, I feel like an idiot sometimes.
I would probably wash their dirty butts myself because the poop can cause issues too. In general it's not recommend to bath birds though.

You are in a really tough spot and I feel for you. I am afraid there isn't much you can really do that is going to make much of a difference one way or another.

You don't want to know what I would do.

I would probably wash their dirty butts myself because the poop can cause issues too. In general it's not recommend to bath birds though.

You are in a really tough spot and I feel for you. I am afraid there isn't much you can really do that is going to make much of a difference one way or another.

You don't want to know what I would do.
I see your tiny print, lol. You would make a rational decision to cull the sick birds and/or potentially start over after assessing the situation. I admire your ability to make sane decisions. 😊

Back
Top Bottom