1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Accidental Chicken Lover

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Usul, May 30, 2010.

1. Usul

Usul In the Brooder

May 24, 2010
    This forum has been very helpful to me throughout the past six months as I've learned tremendously about how to maintain chickens. Though I have always loved free-range hen eggs, I never thought I would ever have my own birds. They sort of dropped on my lap when a neighbor bought a bunch (9) and then decided he was never going to be around. Not wanting them to perish I adopted them and now I'm addicted with two roosters, 13 hens and 19 little chicks. My goal is to sell eggs and, reluctantly, the roosters that come from the chicks.

They have lots of room in my backyard and space has never been an issue for them. I have enough space to keep a "hatchery" and a "quarantine zone" with plenty left over for the main flock.

It started out slow with zero knowledge of what to do with them. I made mistakes but learned from them (with the help of this site and forum) and now things are moving really smoothly. New additions make easy transitions to the rest of the flock and egg production is pretty good. Though I've been using a few hens to sit on some eggs which reduces egg output. But I consider it an investment. And I really enjoy just watching the chemistry of flock as it grows.

That's about it. I look forward to sharing things I learn and to continue learning from all of you. Glad to be a part of it!

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

3. DerbyChook

DerbyChook Songster

May 15, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    What fun! I am sooooo jealous of your extra space. I am in the city, so it will be hard to expand my flock much beyond what I have already. But I am already researching larger coops, so we shall see [​IMG]

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    [​IMG]

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress 9 Years

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

6. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Songster

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    [​IMG] from Ohio! [​IMG] Glad you joined!

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    [​IMG]

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio.

9. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Songster 8 Years

Dec 6, 2009
    [​IMG] from Eastern Kentucky.

10. Usul

Usul In the Brooder

May 24, 2010
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I hope to be able to share some pictures of my chickens real soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: