Accidental Chicken Lover

Usul

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 24, 2010
This forum has been very helpful to me throughout the past six months as I've learned tremendously about how to maintain chickens. Though I have always loved free-range hen eggs, I never thought I would ever have my own birds. They sort of dropped on my lap when a neighbor bought a bunch (9) and then decided he was never going to be around. Not wanting them to perish I adopted them and now I'm addicted with two roosters, 13 hens and 19 little chicks. My goal is to sell eggs and, reluctantly, the roosters that come from the chicks.

They have lots of room in my backyard and space has never been an issue for them. I have enough space to keep a "hatchery" and a "quarantine zone" with plenty left over for the main flock.

It started out slow with zero knowledge of what to do with them. I made mistakes but learned from them (with the help of this site and forum) and now things are moving really smoothly. New additions make easy transitions to the rest of the flock and egg production is pretty good. Though I've been using a few hens to sit on some eggs which reduces egg output. But I consider it an investment. And I really enjoy just watching the chemistry of flock as it grows.

That's about it. I look forward to sharing things I learn and to continue learning from all of you. Glad to be a part of it!

welcome-byc.gif

What fun! I am sooooo jealous of your extra space. I am in the city, so it will be hard to expand my flock much beyond what I have already. But I am already researching larger coops, so we shall see
smile.png

Thanks for the warm welcome! I hope to be able to share some pictures of my chickens real soon!

Back
Top Bottom