ACCIDENTAL

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jay1995, Feb 20, 2009.

1. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    My eggs were due for candling tonight, so I candled and took two out that were totally trasparent and sure enough one was a few weeks along ( I beleive it had alreay died from recent temp spike to 120 F) But the other was four days along and the light shined right through with no problem. And so I took them and cracked them open to wash down drain and I looked down and saw veins and a small pulsating dot in the middle [​IMG] And then the other a tiny little body with a head came out. I now just want to stop and throw out my incubator and everything. My one hen finally went broody after two years. So maybe just use her. At least I know my rooster is fertile. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I QUIT!!!! AGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  2. kbbeale

kbbeale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Adkins, Tx
    [​IMG]:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs

I know how you feel, as I did the very same thing one time. Literally made me sick. I cried about it for days. Hang in there. Dont quit.......I'm sure we've all made this mistake at one time or another. [​IMG]:hugs:hugs

3. jay1995

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Thanks. It is just like you said it makes me sick. As soon as I saw that pulsating guy I wanted to tape the egg shut. I wish they made an egg sealer so when you cracked it open if it was fertile you could seel it closed. But I am just gonna leave them and when they start to rot then I will take them out. But only if I can smell it. But thanks again. I have never hatched any yet and dont know exactly what I am looking for. I think I am gonna stop using my flashlight and buy a real candler.

4. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Its ok Jay [​IMG]

Your not alone...I have done this too..I had eggs under a broody and after day 23 and nothing hatched I decided without candling that they were doners. So I started cracking them open. I killed 2 alive fully formed babies.

Broke my heart to peices I cried and Cried I couldnt even sleep that night pictuing them in my mind.

It's a lesson learned...I don't toss anything unless I am 100% sure. It's dead...or a dud. I candle I watch for movement. Everyone makes mistakes were only human but you can learn from this. If your not 100% sure on a egg leave it another week.

Your gonna be ok... [​IMG]

5. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I am so sorry. [​IMG] I did that once myself (and this is the first time I am admitting it to anyone). Mine was a pretty good sized baby. She wasn't moving at all and I had several I had already confirmed dead. I opened the egg in a bowl (my normal) to examine the contents and she was very much alive but nowhere close to her hatch date. [​IMG] The guilt I felt was HORRIBLE!!!! I now only get rid of funky/green (NOT EE green)/smelly eggs.

6. jay1995

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Thanks. I just wanted to know I wasnt the only one.

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I've broken a few that I thought were dead. If it looked clear to you though you might want to candle later or get a better candling flashlight in the future. Also the embryo floats but slowly goes around the egg if it's turned so if your candling either make sure you candle the side that was up last or turn the egg while candling to see all sides. Otherwise in the beginning you might not see anything and toward the end you'll just see darkness unless you candle the right spot at the right angle.

8. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    dont give up

9. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Listen, mistakes happen. I've lost so many chicks from cracking eggs,
    trying to help them hatch too early, or doing nothing to help them when
    they needed help. Hatching can be heartbreaking.

It happens.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  10. CrimsonRose

CrimsonRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    [​IMG] I gave up on candling because I just never could tell for sure... I just try to be patient and wait till hatch day... Don't give up...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by