Accidentally becoming a homesteader

I have a baby duck probably pekin or Aylesbury coming through she has started to have issues with her feet crossing..
I give them duck food, so hopefully it is not niacin issues, I have split her and three others off from the original 12 as the other 11 were ousting her, the smaller number has resulted in a more friendly environment,
I only noticed the issue this morning and her legs was stuck down the side of the brooder she was led on and I hoped she had pins and needles or dead leg or she had been squeezed and the problem would ease off I gave held her and tried to encourage her to hold the leg properly, but she reverts to leaning one leg in badly, she was very thirsty and somewhat hungry perhaps a by product if the leg issue was not new and she had trouble getting to food and I had not noticed, they all hop onto the incubator to sleep, sit, and until today she was hopping up, could she have injured it and it might heal,would splitting. Ex in appropriate. For a couple of days to be sure it does not self heal, could the food I bought as duck crumbs not. E ducks crumbs,I have changed them to adult duck food and milled it down...
any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Great thread !
I find older people I’m third quarter usually have more experience and more patience, or are in jail for killing their kids kids/HUD’s and lol.
i have a similar ethos over coincidences, best viewed with suspicion;)
and thank you people for nice comments

I find older people I’m third quarter usually have more experience and more patience, or are in jail for killing their kids kids/HUD’s and lol.
i have a similar ethos over coincidences, best viewed with suspicion;)
and thank you people for nice comments

We've survived our kids, and nearly survived our grandkids too. :yesss:

I have been mia Missing in action again, I have muscovy eggs coming out of my ears, musky mums with babies, me wit’s three lots of different age gaps, a set of chicks let out with adults,one poor chick with the latest lot, she sticks by the first duck who came through with her, and dodges any bullies. All sizes are still very musky babies, and a couple of mallard white pekin / Aylesbury. On reflection getting pekin and Aylesbury bury was a big mistake, I can’t tell them apart. These are the oldest set. I tried the middle batch with a Muscovy mum and she took exception to Two dark ones, I think they are chocolate muskies but might be Cayuna ducks, any way I immediately put her and Hers back and protected mine. The musky mums hate me at the moment because I am penning them in late on with abuse food and water after I saw a chicken dashing around with a musky baby - dead - and it’s head with a tapping hole where it’s brain should be, cannot identify what killed and am taking no chances

Attachments

• AA43D2E3-0142-4639-927F-75FED1612506.jpeg
    AA43D2E3-0142-4639-927F-75FED1612506.jpeg
    390.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 7A201EC7-2D67-4DCF-B0EA-B992C74FB4CA.jpeg
    7A201EC7-2D67-4DCF-B0EA-B992C74FB4CA.jpeg
    408.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 12EA231B-7899-4869-8965-2F686BA7F148.jpeg
    12EA231B-7899-4869-8965-2F686BA7F148.jpeg
    408.7 KB · Views: 1
  • ADCE3165-07A5-4F6D-9602-0E15892152FA.jpeg
    ADCE3165-07A5-4F6D-9602-0E15892152FA.jpeg
    407.2 KB · Views: 1
For the duck with the crossed feet I decided on horse brewers yeast I make it up and let them all at it, it’s hard to overdose on niacin apparently, and the other items should hopefully do no harm, there is sone improvement but she is not straight limbed.

We've survived our kids, and nearly survived our grandkids too. :yesss:
I love mine I just prefer them in another county, or even country, my youngest comes home and I think awwww I just love him to bits....3 days later......yeah ripped limb from limb....lol. He is a lovely kid, nice natured, but 1. He’s lazy, 2. He stays up late at night and is noisy, and 3. He picks things up - randomly looks at it then puts it down again randomly again, I continuously have to go looking for livestock goodies he has inspected, oh and he eats food out of date order in my pantry..Or opens something where the same item was already open.it drives me potty...
still if I get pigs, they apparently can eat a human in a couple of days, take the pig to the abattoir get it made into sausages have a big bbq and your done, only saying ....grins evilly....

I love mine I just prefer them in another county, or even country, my youngest comes home and I think awwww I just love him to bits....3 days later......yeah ripped limb from limb....lol. He is a lovely kid, nice natured, but 1. He’s lazy, 2. He stays up late at night and is noisy, and 3. He picks things up - randomly looks at it then puts it down again randomly again, I continuously have to go looking for livestock goodies he has inspected, oh and he eats food out of date order in my pantry..Or opens something where the same item was already open.it drives me potty...
still if I get pigs, they apparently can eat a human in a couple of days, take the pig to the abattoir get it made into sausages have a big bbq and your done, only saying ....grins evilly....
Oh bugger I can’t do that now...this comment will be a total admission of guilt, hmmm time for a new plan.....whistles innocently...lmao

Back
Top Bottom