accidentally shut my chickens out of coop all day!

val snelling

Hatching
May 19, 2015
Hello everyone, I am new to this site and not sure if I am posting questions correctly but here goes........ today I accidentally shut my chickens out of the coop ALL day until 5pm, my girls are a year old and for what ever reason (not thinking i guess) i accidentally shut them out ( I opened the main door but forgot to open the hatch door so they could come and go as they wish! I am hoping there will be no ill effects from this, they were able to get to food and water but I am a worry wart with my girls......ugh someone HELP!

No need to worry as long as they have water they are good. Mine don't go in the coop at all until night time comes.

I was worried that they would think they were shut out forever and might not know to go in once night comes and that they might hold their eggs and get bound,....... I dont know just was worried, thanks for your help makes me feel better! Even before I joined this site I would go here for answers your all so awesome and great advice and educational!!!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I did something like that too. They will be fine. Is their behavior any different? Chickens, by nature, are used to living outside and are very smart creatures when it comes tot he outdoors. I would actually be more concerned about them being stuck INSIDE in a tight, stuffy coop all day instead of outside enjoying the fresh air.

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and not sure if I am posting questions correctly but here goes........ today I accidentally shut my chickens out of the coop ALL day until 5pm, my girls are a year old and for what ever reason (not thinking i guess) i accidentally shut them out ( I opened the main door but forgot to open the hatch door so they could come and go as they wish! I am hoping there will be no ill effects from this, they were able to get to food and water but I am a worry wart with my girls......ugh someone HELP!

They should be fine as long as it wasn't to hot in your area, and if they were cared for right away. You seem to care about them, so my guess was you did.

They are not acting any different, happy to be able to go in and out again, we had a nice breeze here in vt. and not too awful hot! Thank you so much for the assistance!

They are not acting any different, happy to be able to go in and out again, we had a nice breeze here in vt. and not too awful hot! Thank you so much for the assistance!

Well think about when people let their chickies out to scratch around all day, many of them don't have an adequate supply of water constantly.

Back
Top Bottom