Accidently fed moldy scratch to chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Eggcessive, Aug 22, 2011.

  1. Eggcessive

    Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

    33,392
    8,233
    661
    Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have 18 and 20 week old chickens that today got a scoop of moldy scratch. The scratch was in a galvanized can, and I didn't realize it was getting moldy until after 37 chickens had started diving all over to eat it. Will they get sick? I've read where moldy feed can kill, so I'm pretty nervous.
     
  2. NonnasBabies

    NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms Premium Member

    10,965
    986
    386
    Sep 20, 2009
    On the Farm!
    I think they should be fine! [​IMG] Had this happen with some chick starter. [​IMG] Got down to the middle of the bag and found a huge ball of molded food. [​IMG] Was scared to death all the babies I had just hatched would die but they were all fine!! Hope there alright!! [​IMG]
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by